Body tub rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

steveola

GOLD Star
SILVER Star
Threads
Is there any certain order that a body tub needs to be repaired. I’m replacing everything but the cowl assembly, the b pillars and the attached quarter panel top rails. Should I just cut the cowl from the main tub or should I replace rockers and quarters first. Any help is Greatly appreciated. It would be a real plus if doors and top fit when I’m done. Thanks very much.

It would be a real plus if doors and top fit when I’m done.

Yes - an important goal. Why would you want to cut the cowl from the main tub?

I would cut apart as little as possible and test-fit the top side panels (easier than installing the whole top) repeatedly along the way.

Some pix with callouts of what you're wanting to do might help here.

I just finished the same project (almost finished). Keep tub on the frame and replace step by step. It is also a good idea to add some support cross members (wood or metal)
between everything that will stay (especially between top rails).
Add some pictures here. You will get a real suggestions from much experienced members here (not me :) )

this is my start and "end" ...

IMG_3205.jpeg
IMG_4247.jpeg
IMG_4843.jpeg

It would be a real plus if doors and top fit when I’m done.

Yes - an important goal. Why would you want to cut the cowl from the main tub?

I would cut apart as little as possible and test-fit the top side panels (easier than installing the whole top) repeatedly along the way.

Some pix with callouts of what you're wanting to do might help here.
Yeah, probably a good idea to work in small areas as opposed to just cutting out everything. I had thought of putting the top back on just long enough to cut and weld. The first chance I get I will take photos of what I’m dealing with.

Lookin' good to me. However I must admit I went to aluminum to avoid chasing rust in the future. I have owned mine for 26 years and hope to be alive and drive it another 20 years. I will probably look like Mr. Magoo.
If had it to do over I would go aluminum tub probably. I’m pretty much committed to steel now. Anyway, I think it will be a fun if nit very long project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom