Body side molding removal and repair (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a local body shop that is going to remove and resurface (get rid of the blemishes) and then repaint them and reinstall all my moldings for $150. Seems like a good deal since the paint is pealing off them and they look like crap, even after using touch up paint. Do any of you see a potential problem that I should make the bodyshop aware of so they don't start the job and then call me and tell me that the price is going to be higher because of some unknown problem? I read about the clip issue on another thread but it looks like the bodyshop could use 3M tape to get around the clip problem? Anything else that might be a concern?

Well, considering they get about $100-$200 to just wax and detail a vehicle around here, I think that's a good deal---if in fact, they say what they do and they do what they say.

Since body shops charge about $45-$50 per hour for labor, I guess they're estimating about 1 hour for RR, and maybe 2.0 hours for resurface, prep and two-stage paint.

I guess its possible... you may want to get a labor + materials breakdown or hang around for 3 hours to see if they actually take them off.... some shops do their own resurfacing and ding repair, some send them out to third-party service providers...

I would ask more questions.

I would also be curious as to whether they are actually removing the molding or just taping it off. When I get bumpers touched up (for example an area the size of your palm) it usually cost around $50. That's a flawless job color-wise and re-cleared. Removal, filling, sanding, painting, clearing on all of your molding for $150 sounds really cheap.

aedgington said:
I would also be curious as to whether they are actually removing the molding or just taping it off. When I get bumpers touched up (for example an area the size of your palm) it usually cost around $50. That's a flawless job color-wise and re-cleared. Removal, filling, sanding, painting, clearing on all of your molding for $150 sounds really cheap.

Only can go by what they told me. Molding would be removed, resurfaced, repainted and then put back on the LC. Hell as long as it looks good I don't care if they just tape it off and repaint it. I don't care how it is done just how it looks. :)

So how did this turn out? Pics?

aedgington said:
So how did this turn out? Pics?

I used the touch up paint and it looked OK, figured I could continue to use the touch up ppaint. If I fixed it I would just have someone banging it up. I might have it done later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom