Body seam paint and sealer cracks... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Where numerous sheetmetal comes together on the FJ40, like the hood sections, cowl, etc., the seam, normally filled with paint, is exposed as the paint has shrunk over the decades. This leaves a perfect place for water to get into and form rust.

A repaint is out of the question for the foreseeable future. What would be the next best alternative solution or stop gap?

You could always put on some clear seam sealer. At least then, no water would get in there. If there is rust in there already, put some Rust Mort (or the like) on it first.

I wouldn't recommend clear silicone because it does kind of make a mess of things. But, it would be better than rust. :meh:

:cheers:

I would not use silicone of any kind as paint will not adhere to it. It is hard to get removed and any residue of silicone, liquid or solid, will keep anything in the future from adhereing.

Don

What about color matching some enamel automotive paint, masking off the cracks, and brushing it into the cracks?

If you are going to color match the paint anyway, put seam sealer in there first. The seam sealer is designed to flex with the seams. If you just put paint in there, the crack will reappear before too long. You can just get a small squeeze tube of seam sealer from most parts stores. Then just paint over the top of it.

:cheers:

I soak my cracks with fluid film and the wipe it off. It does work as a stop gap it will keep the water out. I have also done this on my rain gutter and it did work there as well for a period of time. I figure regular treatments will do the job better than trying to actually seal. If/when I repaint I would use seam sealer. FOr now Fluid film has become part of my yearly maintenance.

Pete

Is fluid film the brand name or a generic name?

Brand name- it's a lanolin spray. I plan to use it on all the seams once or twice a year to keep the oxidation at bay. It's been working well this last winter and is still evident in the areas that I sprayed it last fall. The roads do see salt here so based on how well it went with the spray cans I'm planning on getting a 5g bucket and an under coating sprayer to get into all the body cavities for next year.

Pete

3M seam sealer. Not expensive and designed for it. mIke

3M seam sealer. Not expensive and designed for it. mIke

X2 or you can just use a good silicone modified latex caulk. Run a bead and foece it in with a bondo spatula then wipe off excess with a damp cloth, let it set and brush the touch-up paint over it.

Use a dremel

You need to clean it out as much as possible. I used a dremel with a wire wheel and it worked really well.

Never had a problem with 3M seem sealer when prepared correctly. Prep. is the key. MIke

Never had a problem with 3M seem sealer when prepared correctly. Prep. is the key. MIke

From many reports, it dries very hard and cracking was the concern, not prep. Proper prep is always important, regardless of the product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom