Body repairs at the factory? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Chris8760

SILVER Star
Threads
My 60 is (I believe) all original paint and I have every shred of paperwork going back to the salesman's business card at Penn Toyota on Long Island.... No indication of any body work or paint.

The passenger rear quarter panel appears to have an ever so slightly different finish than the rest of the truck. To the upper left and middle right of the rear window the paint has faded in two small ~circles.

My guess is there are welds underneath? The body seams in the fuel filler door also appear to have been repaired in comparison to others I've looked at... maybe? I thought I remembered seeing a 60 resto at Cruiser Solutions in NH with the exact same spots. I have no need/interest in painting the truck. As long as these areas stay the way they are, I'm more curious to solve the mystery than anything else.

Pics of the two spots below.

IMG_6308.JPG

IMG_6307.JPG

someone cleaned some gunk off with too much elbow grease and rubbing compound.

Well as clearcoat and maybe colored paint gets removed the apparent color will change. But it is certainly possible that a flaw in the factory paint was touched up at the factory, or some time after that.

Take the rear interior panels off and see what you see. Compare both sides, looking for differences, in seam sealer, welds, painted bolts , paint etc.

My 86 had the rear 1/4 panel replaced in the late 80's with a OEM panel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom