Body removal lift points (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm ready to lift the body off of the frame. My shop has a gantry with a hoist that I plan on using to safely and hopefully easily lift the body from the frame and place on a don't I made

My question is where would be the best places to attach chains/straps to the body to lift it?

Would the front door and lift gate strikers be able to handle the weight of the body? I would ideally want 4 points to lift the body from. Open to suggestions!

thanks,
Lukas

here is a creative way to do it:

BC runners just added a video where they lift a chinook body off using the door flanges

A common way to do it for 60's is to use an engine hoist with chains and d-rings bolted to the seatbelt mounting holes in the floor. The boom of the engine hoist going through one of the door openings.

Since you have a gantry, you could possibly bolt to the door hinge locations like the above video on either side with straps to balance the load front and back. I would definitely *not* lift with a rope or chain around the roof.

someone on here used a gantry or similar and put boards/beams through the front and rear doors openings. Then lifted the beams.

Tho, I would be very cautious with this approach as I wouldn't want the body to bend where the beams contacted it.

You can bolt to the front door and tailgate hinge bolt holes, but then it seems your chain/strap would be wrapping around the body.

A common way to do it for 60's is to use an engine hoist with chains and d-rings bolted to the seatbelt mounting holes in the floor. The boom of the engine hoist going through one of the door openings.

Since you have a gantry, you could possibly bolt to the door hinge locations like the above video on either side with straps to balance the load front and back. I would definitely *not* lift with a rope or chain around the roof.
Yes that is what I'm planning! Thanks

someone on here used a gantry or similar and put boards/beams through the front and rear doors openings. Then lifted the beams.

Tho, I would be very cautious with this approach as I wouldn't want the body to bend where the beams contacted it.

You can bolt to the front door and tailgate hinge bolt holes, but then it seems your chain/strap would be wrapping around the body.
Yes I was thinking the same thanks!

Got the body off this weekend. A few hiccups and bent lines but overall went pretty smoothly and I was able to just hook the straps to the door and tailgate hinges. Doesn't appear to be any bending or deflection.

PXL_20220814_180144002.jpg
PXL_20220814_185659828.jpg
PXL_20220814_200219285.jpg

here is a creative way to do it:

Hello,

Is there any information on the Forum in the way of a checklist of what to disconnect in order to remove the body? Right now I'm just going through it with common sense.

Hello,

Is there any information on the Forum in the way of a checklist of what to disconnect in order to remove the body? Right now I'm just going through it with common sense.
Common sense and slow speed are a good place to start. Do you have the FSM?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom