Body reassembly scratching paint?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1970 FJ40... I am about to reassemble my tire carrier. There are hinges and other parts bolted to the swinging tire carrier plate. Originally they assembled first and painted later. I painted first, nib sanded, cut and polished. IT looks better than it should. I don't want to scratch off the paint and create rust spots down the road.

I was thinking of cutting black gasket material to put between the hinges, tire carrier and close lever mounting to prevent scratching up the paint.

Good idea or bad?

Thanks,
Scot

Last edited:
Similar here - I used black EPDM rubber roofing. Partly as it was leftover on hand from a porch roof project, but also as it's thin and UV resistant.

For some places, I used clear "rock guard" vinyl instead - I think I used that where the bib met the sides, etc.

I had some thin cork on hand. IT is not obvious. I like the other ideas. I will keep them in mind.

When I received it there was a sloppy spray job over everything with no real prep. I like it better now.

Question, did Toyota spray the bolts? I am thinking they did because the metal under the hinges was never finished.

Second question, are there any picture albums on the internet of untouched high condition FJ40s like mine? As long as I am doing work I might as well do it like factory when I can.

DSCN0570.JPG

I had some thin cork on hand. IT is not obvious. I like the other ideas. I will keep them in mind.

When I received it there was a sloppy spray job over everything with no real prep. I like it better now.

Question, did Toyota spray the bolts? I am thinking they did because the metal under the hinges was never finished.

Second question, are there any picture albums on the internet of untouched high condition FJ40s like mine? As long as I am doing work I might as well do it like factory when I can.

View attachment 3290087
Yes, Mr T painted the nuts and bolts. The problem with cork it absorbs water. I think there are plenty of vendors including ebay and Amazon that sell rubber sheets or precut for all the hinges. I would use as others have stated either EDPM or Viton rubber both are UV and chemical stable (especially Viton rubber). I've used cheap rubber but within a year it deteriorated and had do it again using Viton rubber.

Second question, are there any picture albums on the internet of untouched high condition FJ40s like mine?
Might browse some builds from the FJ Company.

It’s been awhile but I used a guy off eBay. Thin rubber. Fit well. I still scratched the heck out of my rig putting it all back together!
Something like this?

I decided to remove the cork. Not having any thin rubber on hand I looked around. I have some very thick pipe wrap tape, it is about 40 mil. black and PVC? The cork left a cork texture in the paint. The paint is about 5 days old. I'm glad I took it off. The tape worked as I wanted, it prevented mauling the paint, it will not absorb water. Good enough.

I 'll get some rubber for other odd assembly.

I do have, or think I have, all the rubber for the hardtop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom