Body Panels/Paint on the 200? (LX) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It appears someones mirror rubbed up against the side of my LX and put a crease in the sheet metal from the front panel all the way to the back with a fair amount of scratches as well. :cry:

My body shop has already stated PDR (dent removal) isn't an option.

People that have had your trucks repainted.. Any suggestions? Is it possible my body shop can match the quality that Japan delivers when they paint the LX?

I am absolutely sick. :frown:

That's awful. At the very least get a second opinion on the PDR just in case.

IF dent removal isn't an option, what is there plan? Replace panels?

I'm not an expert, but I have watched many PDR videos on youtube. I would think someone could get that out. Another consideration is whether the scratches are all the way through the clearcoat and thus cannot be buffed out. They could still be dramatically improved though. If I were filing a claim, I'd consider taking the full amount and then having someone skilled improve it as much as possible, but everyone has their own expectations as to what they's accept.

IF dent removal isn't an option, what is there plan? Replace panels?

I'm not an expert, but I have watched many PDR videos on youtube. I would think someone could get that out. Another consideration is whether the scratches are all the way through the clearcoat and thus cannot be buffed out. They could still be dramatically improved though. If I were filing a claim, I'd consider taking the full amount and then having someone skilled improve it as much as possible, but everyone has their own expectations as to what they's accept.

the first panel in my video they believe could be removed via dent removal.

driver door, second door and back panel need to be replaced.

lots of scratches are all the way to bare metal. :crybaby:

I'm guessing your estimate is from a Lexus-Approved Body shop?

Any updates on this?
I got completely screwed last night as well... Looking for best options - in St. Louis, MO area.
(The person who ran into me had no license, no insurance, no registration, and not even sure about "his" car as it had no registration plates. By I digress. Frankly, I don;t even give a s*** about money this will cost, I just want it done right.)

Here is a picture. I just want to cry. A part of this scratch may possibly buff out but not all of it, and the edge of the door that has damage has a crack in paint.
upload_2018-12-6_22-55-24.png

--

If a lexus approved body shop isn't available / feasible (which was my case), ask your insurance company which body shop within an hour of your house has the least number of complaints. I did that with my LX, and I was pretty happy with the repair.

Bear in mind that a repair, 99% of the time nomatter who does it will not be as good as original.

I'm not sure about painting the whole quarter panel, really wonder if it is warranted in my case!
Need advice!
After buffing the long black scratch (presumably their side mirror dragged over my side/panel) is gone and I can maybe see some indentation if I look very hard. With the size of this panel, the roof rack bolts, blind spot radar under this panel and possibly needing to get into the roof liner etc. - I really do not want to touch this, unless it is really necessary and/or there is something I don't know.
The door will need to be done as the paint is cracked at the lip.
Is there a way to diagnose a dent for "microcracks" or any some such - whenever one is trying to decide if re-opainting the whole panel is warranted?

Also - very curious about the OP results.

--

I'm not sure about painting the whole quarter panel, really wonder if it is warranted in my case!
Need advice!
After buffing the long black scratch (presumably their side mirror dragged over my side/panel) is gone and I can maybe see some indentation if I look very hard. With the size of this panel, the roof rack bolts, blind spot radar under this panel and possibly needing to get into the roof liner etc. - I really do not want to touch this, unless it is really necessary and/or there is something I don't know.
The door will need to be done as the paint is cracked at the lip.
Is there a way to diagnose a dent for "microcracks" or any some such - whenever one is trying to decide if re-opainting the whole panel is warranted?

Also - very curious about the OP results.

--

Find a qualified paintless repair shop they can work wonders

Find a qualified paintless repair shop they can work wonders
That’s what I’m doing.
I have appointments with five different body shops over the next few days, I had a bad first appraisal experience today...
My insurance (Liberty Mutual) has not been very helpful, but I did not expect much. They also won’t be able to get anything from the other driver with no insurance, but that is frankly the least of my worries. I want my baby taken care of correctly and already figured it will be critical to find a shop I can trust. The reviews can be misleading and many shops have high turnover particularly if they are making it, so the reviews can be useless.

I have a Liberty Mutual if you use their recommended shop they guarantee good job for his long as you own the vehicle I did that in the middle of Arkansas where mine was wrecked these people did a fantastic job

So, a quick update on my 2017 LC200 body work.

The job was done at Hunter Auto Body, 8014 Gravois Rd, St. Louis, MO 63123. The work has been done perfectly, and it warrants posting several extremely positive comments.

For starters, they are not cheap. Their estimate ended up being significantly higher than any one of the three other estimates I obtained through insurance recommended shops (two chains and one independent shop); Hunter Auto Body was NOT on any of the insurance recommended lists and I don't believe that is going to change any time soon... as the owner Jack Hunter appears to insists on standards that may in some cases exceed what is provided per insurance guidelines. He is upfront about that and I was clearly informed the insurance does not always follow his recommendations.

With that important caveat (that I hope I'll not end up getting stiffed by my insurance, on top of already being out the deductible as the driver who rear ended me was not insured...) I asked the owner, Jack Hunter, to proceed with the repairs as he sees fit. Being the truck is less than a year old with only 10k miles, I couldn't stand a thought of giving the work to anyone who wouldn't want to bring it back to pristine condition.

Mr Hunter documents his work scrupulously so there is not guesswork involved as to what has or has not been done, in my case he has produced some 100 pictures documenting every most minute detail. Prior to commissioning the work I spent about an hour in his shop where he kindly walked me through the process, discussing work at various stations all extremely well organized, all w/laptops with factory procedures they follow to the letter. Apparently, Jack studies factory manuals before each job and conducts pow-wows with his techs before they begin the work; in my case he said he needed about 4 hours of study; I could tell he is extremely knowledgeable in discussing the repair.

Having been through this process (autobody service) before I am incredibly impressed with the work done at this place. In my experience with past repairs I have always been able to easily spot a few imperfections, always some missing taper-ware fasteners etc. etc.; this time is different: I can literally not tell a difference between the fixed (left rear) and factory "pristine" (right side) side of the truck, in any way. Everything is perfectly aligned, including any molding, plastic edge protectors, even factory stickers are back, all plastic rivets matching etc. Nothing is missing, nothing is out of place.

Moreover, when their work is done they have the truck towed to a Toyota dealer to perform post-repair inspection and re-calibration of the electronic assist/collision avoidance, blind spot radar controls etc. This was the first for me, but I really appreciate the service as it is easy to imagine having, for example, a rear fender blind spot radar bumped that could make the truck malfunction under some circumstances when the collision avoidance algorithms kick in, or something like that.

Outstanding service and workmanship, Hunter Auto Body is a small shop run like a Swiss watch. The owner is intimately involved in all the work detail, which is so rare these days, almost unheard of.

Just thought I would share my impressions here, if anyone is unfortunate enough to find themselves in need of autobody shop service in the Greater Saint Louis area, I couldn't recommend these guys more strongly.
Again, with the caveat of insurance coverage being on par with the Hunter's standards, Jack has been very responsive and keeping my Liberty Mutual adjuster in the loop.

--

Last edited:
So, a quick update on my 2017 LC200 body work.

The job was done at Hunter Auto Body, 8014 Gravois Rd, St. Louis, MO 63123. The work has been done perfectly, and it warrants posting several extremely positive comments.

For starters, they are not cheap. Their estimate ended up being significantly higher than any one of the three other estimates I obtained through insurance recommended shops (two chains and one independent shop); Hunter Auto Body was NOT on any of the insurance recommended lists and I don't believe that is going to change any time soon... as the owner Jack Hunter appears to insists on standards that may in some cases exceed what is provided per insurance guidelines. He is upfront about that and I was clearly informed the insurance does not always follow his recommendations.

With that important caveat (that I hope I'll not end up getting stiffed by my insurance, on top of already being out the deductible as the driver who rear ended me was not insured...) I asked the owner, Jack Hunter, to proceed with the repairs as he sees fit. Being the truck is less than a year old with only 10k miles, I couldn't stand a thought of giving the work to anyone who wouldn't want to bring it back to pristine condition.

Mr Hunter documents his work scrupulously so there is not guesswork involved as to what has or has not been done, in my case he has produced some 100 pictures documenting every most minute detail. Prior to commissioning the work I spent about an hour in his shop where he kindly walked me through the process, discussing work at various stations all extremely well organized, all w/laptops with factory procedures they follow to the letter. Apparently, Jack studies factory manuals before each job and conducts pow-wows with his techs before they begin the work; in my case he said he needed about 4 hours of study; I could tell he is extremely knowledgeable in discussing the repair.

Having been through this process (autobody service) before I am incredibly impressed with the work done at this place. In my experience with past repairs I have always been able to easily spot a few imperfections, always some missing taper-ware fasteners etc. etc.; this time is different: I can literally not tell a difference between the fixed (left rear) and factory "pristine" (right side) side of the truck, in any way. Everything is perfectly aligned, including any molding, plastic edge protectors, even factory stickers are back, all plastic rivets matching etc. Nothing is missing, nothing is out of place.

Moreover, when their work is done they have the truck towed to a Toyota dealer to perform post-repair inspection and re-calibration of the electronic assist/collision avoidance, blind spot radar controls etc. This was the first for me, but I really appreciate the service as it is easy to imagine having, for example, a rear fender blind spot radar bumped that could make the truck malfunction under some circumstances when the collision avoidance algorithms kick in, or something like that.

Outstanding service and workmanship, Hunter Auto Body is a small shop run like a Swiss watch. The owner is intimately involved in all the work detail, which is so rare these days, almost unheard of.

Just thought I would share my impressions here, if anyone is unfortunate enough to find themselves in need of autobody shop service in the Greater Saint Louis area, I couldn't recommend these guys more strongly.
Again, with the caveat of insurance coverage being on par with the Hunter's standards, Jack has been very responsive and keeping my Liberty Mutual adjuster in the loop.

--

Wow! That's great service!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom