Body Off Welding (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 76 and have removed the rear quarters (not the upper channel), rear sill, rear bed and mid bed, and wheel wells. I had planned on leaving the passenger compartment on the fram and replacing what I have removed.

Now that I am so close, I would prefer to remove the passenger compartment and put in all back together (weld) well the whole body is off the frame. Any comments are appreciated...can I keep evering straight when welding back together the rear bed, quarters, wheel wells? Thanks Doug

Keeping everything straight and correctly located will be a problem. This is usually accomplished by tack welding temporary supports to the remaining sheet metal before you cut out the parts that need to be replaced. At the minimum, I would tack weld the new sheet metal in with the body on the frame to make sure that it is straight and properly located and then take it off and weld it up if you need to.

you have too much apart to take it off now. the way it sounds, the only thing you have back there is the upper channel. if you were only going to do one or two pcs at a time then yes you could have pulled it off the frame and still had a good shot at getting everything back right. now you are beyond that.

atleast put everything back togther and weld everything that is easy to get to. then you can pull it off and finish welding and paint.

That's right...the only thing left is the upper channel, which I welded together with a bar across the ambu door divide and then that bar to the rear bumber/frame. If I only knew then what I know now.....I think the order of reweld is:

1. Rear bed
2. Rear sil
3. Quarter Panels and
4. Wheel wells..

or should wheel wells then quarters?

so you have nothing between the A&B pillars? hope you atleast took a measurement first...........

you need to start at the bottom and work up.
including body mounts on the frame. bolt up what parts you can to the frame and go from there.

and don't finish weld anything till everything is tacked togther.

You'll need to remove the old bracing and body mounts and weld them to the underside of your new floor first, then align it square with the tub and spot weld the front..Rear sill is next, once again, this involves body mounts so you want it to be square, and with the right height above the frame in the rear. Then on to the outer quarters, and finally the inner fender wells, with brace for roll bar, of course, properly measured. You don't want the tub off now, chances are your doors would never close again. Before removing all this stuff, you want every opening braced and welded...including the front door openings. Make certain the body mounts are in good shape, with the correct height and durometer rating if replacing. Take your time, measure, fit, and install roll bar etc. before making final welds to make sure everything's in place. Know the measurements, height and width, of all openings, have and use a square and level liberally! rear sill height is critical...don't overlook this.

Thanks. The rear bed in not new and the bracing is failry intact. The area (inckuding bracing) where the body mounts attached had to be cut out and replaced. This will make an allignment challenge. Do you know the spacing between the rear bumber and the sill? I got new body mounts and the space seems too wide.

Maybe there is a thread with all the measurements because I acted in haste many years ago...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom