Body off restoration to save a 100 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Stripping with the countour SCT. Sandblasting would be easier but this thing works great and I want to keep the coating on the inside.

221A5C55-E7FE-43DD-996A-CDC71AE55BBC.jpeg

So here is a short video while the por 15 is curing. Came out great, couple of spots to touch up, sprayed on with HVLP gun.

Looking great! Did you use the POR-15 rust preventive only? Or top with POR-15 top coat as well?

Looking great! Did you use the POR-15 rust preventive only? Or top with POR-15 top coat as well?
Took it to bare metal, used metal prep then the preventative. I didn’t use a top coat, I was on the fence and after some research decided to leave it as is.

I love projects like this. Keep it coming!

Just found this thread and will read on. Would love to do something like this but just don't have the space :)

Hey guys I have always wanted to get into restoration work, been mechanical my entire life and wanted to document my process, this is just an intro to the car I will be working on. I will add as I go!

What advice do you have for us that have rust but do not need to replace the frame?
What rust prevention products do you recommend?
Do you have any advice for dealing with rusty bolts underneath?

I have a 01 LX with rust. Frame is still mostly solid but with major rust scaling. Won't restore but want to prevent more erosion.

Last edited:
What advice do you have for us that have rust but do not need to replace the frame?
Do you have any advice for dealing with rusty bolts undereath?
If you look at the previous page, I like to use a shaker like the one I have pictured. Clean them up after then add them to a bit of oil and add heat.

Do you have any advice for dealing with rusty bolts underneath?

I have a 01 LX with rust. Frame is still mostly solid but with major rust scaling. Won't restore but want to prevent more erosion.

When I did my front suspension I also used POR-15 (as the OP used on the frame) on LCA and so on. Did the Metal Prep of POR-15 as well.
Wire brush --> wash off with degreaser --> Metal Prep --> wash with degreaser --> 2-x layers POR15 brushed on

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom