Body off 1979 FJ40 resto/ questions on rust proofing underside and floorboards? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
xxxxxxx

xxxxxxxx

Last edited:
Aaron-

I am very skeptical of anyone that has a tub rhino lined and says that it is " rust free ".....

It covers up things really well.

I would take pictures of the real metal before and after if you are seriously concerned about resale value....

Good luck!

-Steve

I'm with poser.

Make sure you get a good paint on before the rhino liner. I don't think that is intended to go over bare metal. If you do get a scratch in it, rust can spread under the liner. I'd use something like POR-15 or zero-rust or a good 2 part epoxy primer with top coat.

Sounds to me like you have every intention of selling...but what do I know? Limit the Rhino to the size and shape of the original tar. Pics help, obviously you're going for every possible dollar if you do sell, so any documentation is a plus.

Aaron, I'd get it clean (like you can eat off it clean) and then use something like POR-15, ZeroRust or Rust Bullit. I would stay FAR away from anything that makes a tar like coating.

Aaron-

I would think hard about the rhino lining or any others. The truck you have is clean and virtually rust free as I recall. The key to the rust issues is to get everything down to the base metal and then start with a good two part epoxy etching primer.

I really think that if properly prepped, painted and finally cared for the truck will stay rust free. I also lean towards staying with the stock look. TLC seems to really lean towards the Linux (sp?) system and they get the resale value from them. (They are also running with a proven reputation)

In regards to the undercoating, I have been told that there is new undercoatings with rust inhibitors. If you do Rhino the interior I would color match it and then do the underside in the black.

I do agree take a ton of pics of before and after. Take pics of every nook and cranny. As the story goes "pictures tell a thousand words".

By the way lets see some more pics.

like the others, I would pass on the lining is a true resto. IMOP is does hurt value.......and it aint stock :)

RIDDLER said:
No not selling but I'd hate to be stuck in something that I didn't use or need and be upside down in it...

Oh have no illusions...you will be upside down in it... ;)

$$

Poser sent you a PM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom