body mounts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone's replaced the body mount tabs that are riveted to the frame. Would it be easier to replace it, or to just fix it? Mine has a crack in it, so it would have to have a tab welded to the horizontal piece.
I"m talking about number 142L on this drawing. Actually, the one aft of that one.
Thanks for any help.
Mike

can't figure how to paste the picture, so here's the link:
http://www.sor.com/sor/cat106.tam?xax=19186&page.ctx=cat106.tam

Hi All:

You might want to just replace all the body mounts with new units.

You can buy OE rubber body mount pads from S-O-R, etc. There are also aftermarket poly body mounts available from "Energy Suspension," which can be purchased cheaply from Summit Racing.

Not too hard a job, more awkward then anything.

Good luck!

Alan

Ditto what Alan said. I just finished replacing all of mine, using a kit (Daystar). It was a bit of a pain, as not everything lines up perfectly and takes a bit of encouragement. I'm guessing the ride is going to be bit nicer with the new mounts on.

got mine from local auto parts store for 89 bucks. all polyurethane energy susp. for my 1970 the whole kit

u can get em from summit very cheap as well

Read people and look at the diagram, the question regards the frame bracket not the rubber mount itself.

Mike it really depends on what tools you got access to, I personally would just weld the crack up but I own a welder. Replace the bracket should be too bad, just have to knock 2 rivits out which is a very quick and dirty job if you have a torch otherwise it is a bit of a PITA. Just replace the rivits with bolts.

Frame body mount bracket

mikedickbek,

I believe you are talking about the frame body mount brackets and not the rubber / poly mounts themselves as suggested in some of the other replies. If they are damaged, broken or bent, I suggest that you repair or replace them.

If you have a welder or friend with one, go that route. Replacing may be more of a PITA given that the brackets are riveted.

Odd, the SOR picture does not seem to accurately reflect the frame body mounts to be found on my '79 BJ40, so I'm not entirely sure which of the brackets you are referring to. Doesn't change the advice though.

Good luck. Please post a pic of offending bracket if you can.

P.S. I was lucky enough to spend some time on Oahu last November. Nice place to live and great people.

Yeah, I'll just end up welding it back up. My buddy Dave (HopII) has some welding gear, and he said he'd help me out.
Thanks a lot for all your help.
Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom