body mounting help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i'm in the middle of a full frame off resto and getting ready to put the body back on. i'm considering a body lift but am a little hesitant.

if i do use a body lift do i mount the blocks under the original mounts or do i not need the originals?

i know that a lot people hate body lifts, generally i am one of them but i wouldn't go over and in and a half. is it still a horrible idea?

and lastly who has pics of a slight body lift? i'm mostly concerned about how the rear mounts would look since they are the most noticeable.

thanks for any help
-brian

SAME HERE!!! Been itchin' to have that same answer for a while now, so any help for the two of us would be great! THANKS>

have you done a search, body lifts have been covered a bit, i have a 2 inch body lift. and the blocks go under the factory mounts on top of the frame supports. and i have pics but cant size them to fit on here, but on the back of my cruiser i used 4 of the mini blocks that 4wheelparts sells and a piece of 2in. angle iron to hide them. i cut notches in the angle iron so it fit around the blocks and rounded the corners and tack welded it in place looks pretty good. hope this helps you out a bit.

Well never done it, but from what I can tell with most kits they pretty much replace the old bushings. Someone might chime in here, but I'd definitely get rid of the old crap.

I agree that when they are too high, body lifts look like a cheap way of doing things, but when properly proportioned to the tires and the rest of the suspension I think it can compliment the rig quite nicely. 1.5 in huh... what size tires and lift if any? That definitely sounds alot more reasonable than like a 2 or 3 incher. I see YJs runnin round here with 3 inches and no suspension lift and like 31's and they look terrible, just my opinion.

I'v always wondered about the steering connection, it seems like everything else wouldn't matter besides that.

Whatever you do don't do a search for "body lift" in google. Some nassssty pics man. hahahaha.

I didn't do a complete body lift, just replaced the worn out/missing rubbers with cut pieces from a boat roller. Here's a picture from the rear showing the mounts.
DSCN2963.jpg

Texas and Hoss, I have a body lift, around 2 inches, and it works out great. Got the clearances I needed for tires, and also helped out making room underneath for V8 conversion stuff, fuel pumps and what not. For a good kit, check out http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/BodyLiftKit.shtml the guy makes them custom, I had him quote me a price for my 40, but I have lost the quote.

When you get a body lift, also remember that you are going to have to fab up a spacer under the front bib as well. A piece of square stock steel works well, plus it looks good. Also as before mentioned your steering column will be off, it will be higher, therefore needing to go at a greater angle down. What I did was take a sawsall and cut the firewall just below the orignal hole, and mount the base of the column lower. This did not effect the position of my steering wheel. From here the shaft was too long. So I took apart the shaft where all the plastic where the ignition is, and there is a 1 inch spacer looking thing, which again I took the sawsall and cut this in half. Worked great and there is no angle stress or anything on my rag joint. Most have a spacer put in the rag joint to correct the steering problem, but to me this would put some angle strain on the joint. Maybe that was just me.

Either way, it worked great, don't forget your brake lines and stuff will have to stretch. Good Luck. I don't have any pictures sorry. PM me if you have any more questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom