Body mount torque specs? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DivByZero

SILVER Star
Threads
Anyone know what the proper torque specs, or failing that a good general approach is, for tightening up the body mounts on an 80? I just loosened all the body mounts to jack up the body off the frame a bit. Was surprised I couldn't find a section in the FSM on replacing the body mounts, but maybe I missed it? If someone can point me to it, or give some advice from experience, it'd be appreciated. My gut says to not go very tight, and it's got the double nut going on there to help secure it, but never done this before so thought it'd be wise to ask.

AFAIK, there is no torque spec. I'll have to look through my body manuals to be certain; I know it's not in the FSM.

When I removed mine so that I could access the fuel tank straps, I put them back in so that the first nut just deflected the bushing, then I put the jam nut on and, if memory serves, I used the general torque spec for that nut, which is in the FSM.

HTH

The FSM has pages for standardised torque settings for all Toyota bolts, studs etc.

Look up the chart to determine torque based on bolt head style, markings, numbers etc, and diameter.

Screenshot_20210920-184846_Drive.jpg

That's the page I was referring to; I have a copy taped to the inside of the door of my tool cabinet.

Tighten the first nut until the rubber bushing starts to squish a little bit.

Than hold the first nut still with one wrench and get the second nut good and tight with a second wrench.

Just use standard length box end wrenches on the two nuts and get the 2nd nut as tight as you can. Unless you are stronger than the average man you won't over torque the 2nd nut with a normal length wrench.

Tighten the first nut until the rubber bushing starts to squish a little bit.

Than hold the first nut still with one wrench and get the second nut good and tight with a second wrench.

Just use standard length box end wrenches on the two nuts and get the 2nd nut as tight as you can. Unless you are stronger than the average man you won't over torque the 2nd nut with a normal length wrench.
Thanks, that's basically what I ended up doing. When I saw how easily the first nut squished the bushing, I got it to the point where it just started to put pressure, then locked it with the second nut good and tight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom