Body mount bolt removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Mud,
Tearing down my 40 and I’m ready to remove the body of the cowl and tub in one piece. I’m in the process of removing the body mount bolts and have loosened all of the 6 bolts but the front 2 are just spinning and not coming out. The top nut is very difficult to access. Do I just need to cut off the bolt or is there a way to access the top nut to hold in place in order to back out the bottom bolt. The body mount itself does not allow access to the top bolt.
any suggestions or tricks. Thanks.

6C889723-7251-40C5-A8F6-41E9B5F47770.jpeg

I cut the bolt off. I then had to cut an access hole in the floor to reweld a bolt to replace the one that was spinning. I believe that those bolts were originally spot welded into place. It must of broke the spot weld.

Your going to get new nuts and bolts with a new body mount kit...so Cut em off.

D12C167C-BD8D-40C0-9113-A421C3874A34.png

Is the a 8/80+ 40 series? That the date the tub had a major change including how it mounted to the frame.

almost positive the OP is working on a 78

I thought the change over was with the Jan 79 when they moved the gas tank underneath and the square headlight bezel, 8/80 was the splitcase and ebrake on the axle

almost positive the OP is working on a 78

I thought the change over was with the Jan 79 when they moved the gas tank underneath and the square headlight bezel, 8/80 was the splitcase and ebrake on the axle

Paul you are 100% correct. Thank you for correcting me. So much I researching 8/80 is the split date. The tub was pretty much the same 1/79-9/82. 10/82 was pretty much the last change with the dash and transmission hump being the two things with the biggest changes.

On my 74 I ran the Milwaukee on top and sawzall down below and they were cut within a minute. I did this because they loosened up a little then seized into the rust and spun and spun while trying to saw. The Smokey 46 year old rubber stank up the garage some but I gave up on trying to save old bolts. New hardware is so nice and worth the money.

The tub was pretty much the same 1/79-9/82.

the steering column mount thru the firewall changed in 81 also, with the change to the collapsable column and the glove compartment door, not sure if the catch would work on the different years.

the steering column mount thru the firewall changed in 81 also, with the change to the collapsable column and the glove compartment door, not sure if the catch would work on the different years.

Don't forget the A pillar interior light switches. Not sure if the change for the collapsible steering column and glove box door were on all LHD. Never changed on RHD. Also the insert style dash started 10/81 on RHD, a year before the LHD. Plan on a collapsible column, twist knob for the glovebox, A pillar switches and changing the transmission hump on my 79. The glovebox door and A pillar are pretty easy. The steering column grafting in is harder. Changing the transmission hump to a 10/82+ is even harder. Insert dash for a LHD would be major project if you could even find the parts. The hump is coming from Australia. Finding one of those in the US would be difficult. Very few 83s made it to the US. Not many being parted out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom