1997 Restoration (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The best solution at this point is to weld nuts to the broken bolts. The heat generated by welding, passed through the bolt, will breakdown the rust bond between the broken bolt and the original nut integrated into the frame.
100000000% agree with this. I just spent a couple days salvaging my muffler assembly as an 02 sensor stud broke off in the cast iron welded adapter in the exhaust tube. No amount of torch heat would get the stud hot enough as the exhaust tube would immediately cool the area too fast to be able to use my stud extractor. After a couple failed attempts, the welded nut backed out the broken stud like I just installed a brand new bolt with antiseize. This is the way.

Dealing with the broken bolts for the rear stabilizer bar brackets has been postponed. Planning to weld the brackets on later. Current objective is to get the axles and frame re-acquainted so we can then put the body back on in order to have the rig in a condition where it can be safely trailered to a body shop. Once we get the body back on the chassis, we'll begin stripping the interior and engine bay.

Current status: Macropoxy 646 has been applied.

IMG_3609.jpg

Making some progress.

Got the axles back under the frame and started to bolt on brackets and new brake lines. Replacing all hard lines except the tiny one on the passenger front and the one that goes across the firewall, both of which are NLA.

E18E052D-9270-4490-A38E-49453278F06A.jpg

De-rusting and re-painting all of the control arms:

275AE9AE-B668-48F0-9615-1636EFEE2400.jpg

Cleaned fuel tank and coated in Macropoxy. Replaced all removable parts including rubber cushions. The OEM cushions are NLA, but I just got a roll of 3" wide rubber and cut to length.

F0FBD00E-F16B-40C1-BE90-92DE35B3AAFF.jpg

Fully cleaned and applied Macropoxy to the belly. Mounted fuel tank and insulators.

48DACDFA-F34C-4F95-9C41-833497424CFE.jpg

C7D88F79-C26A-417E-8A8B-6AFDA3682303.jpg

Interior stripped except the door cards - planning to remove those and the door glass this weekend. Got the rear quarter windows out and found a little rust along the bottom of the driver's side. Other than that, the only other rust in the interior is in the driver foot well under the dead pedal.

IMG_0856.jpg

The sound deadening pad behind the "subwoofer" is interestingly saggy.

IMG_0857.jpg

Once the door cards, door glass, and rear hatch glass have been removed, it will be time to trailer it to the body shop for paint!

While it is out for body work and paint, I'll be working on putting the 1FZ back together and re-covering the seats with the LCH premium leather kit.

Been a while since I posted - busy with summer projects, but the LC continues to progress slowly.

Since the rig was sitting, I decided to get the 5 wheels addressed. Powder-coat, new shoes, new lug nuts, and new center caps:

IMG_1385.jpeg

My hopes of trailering the rig somewhere for body and paint prior to installing the drivetrain are officially dashed. Having a really tough time finding someone to take on the project and when I do get some positive response, there is a long lead-time.

No worries - plenty of other work to do. Went ahead and cleaned/painted the engine bay and the focus is now to get the drivetrain in.

IMG_1577.jpeg

Building the engine has been fun and satisfying. Been referencing lots of MUD posts and YouTube videos.

IMG_1505.jpeg

IMG_1506.jpeg

IMG_1594.jpeg

IMG_1589.jpeg

Currently waiting on the valve cover from the powder coater and the injectors from witch hunter.

The valve buckets got mixed up (by me), so the clearances didn't check out when we to got the cams in, so I had to order a few new shims. Upon second installation of the cams with the updated shims, all clearances are now in spec.

Great work on this. What are the chances that you just end up painting it yourself at this point?

There are a few rust spots and some dings that need to be addressed and I don't have the tools or skills to do it correctly. I have no problem waiting until I find the right people to do a good job - plenty to do in the meantime.

Side quest… currently working on passenger front seat reupholstering. (Land Cruiser Heaven leather kit with new front seat bottoms and front seat heaters)

Two challenges.

1) where exactly to position the backrest heater. I cut out the two areas where there was no heating element, but they didn’t line up with the metal mounting rods in the foam, so I cut one row of conductor out to make it line up. Resistance of the circuit changed (can’t remember the values), so I hope I didn’t do damage to the overall function. I think I’ll get a 12v power supply and test it out before I button it up.

DD84751E-8C4C-4456-9A88-AB9FDE6E2367.jpeg

2) power seat control trim plate. I visited every thread on this topic and have been terrified to break the tabs. Ended up cutting the leather around the plate and I could then get access to release the tabs with my finger.

5DF407A2-9517-49C0-8F80-C05557456667.jpeg

94A6B488-CB6F-4215-B221-93EDDB6E1432.jpeg

65D2FC0F-52BB-4D30-B973-389935D80302.jpeg

Success!

A keen eye will see that the mounting post for the recline button is broken off because some dumb gorilla threw the seat sideways in the back of his SUV with the controls facing down. Going to try some UV curing glue to see how well it will hold.

image.jpg

Side quest... did these earlier this year, but I didn't post to this thread. Rear seats with the LCH kit.

Old v. new.

1666995056977.png

Closer shot to show the texture.

1666995089282.png

Full leather back on new vs. vinyl on OEM.

1666995117475.png

No idea why the bottom carpet is a different color, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1666995228116.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom