Body filler recommendations for steel tube fenders (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mopdog

SILVER Star
Threads
What is the preferred body filler of the day? I’m almost done welding up some metal tech tube fenders. I cut the inner fenders out of my rusty and dented stock fenders and welded them to the tube fenders. I’m not an experienced body guy by any stretch and am not expecting show car level results, just something decent and paintable.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I would try and get them cleaned up
The best you can and use a minimum amount of any body filler

F871CA7E-D033-43C6-A48E-04A601234E96.jpeg

F1AF7D38-C17F-4C7E-A132-F1947F0EC94B.jpeg

B65AE830-A7E7-456C-96AB-411690B5D5E3.jpeg

2BF275B8-3E35-4DA0-83DF-AEBC4B5CC1C6.jpeg

Get yourself some bondo with fiberglass strands and some glazing putty. Use the bondo to get yourself close to where you want, say within a 1/16" or so. Then use the glazing putty as the final top coat.

Glazing putty is much softer and way way easier to sand. So the bondo doesn't need to be perfect; let the glazing putty do that. It'll fill in any scratches and pin holes in the bondo.

Do you have a long board? If you don't, I would invest in one. Or at the very least, whip one up with a block of wood or something. Just don't use your hand for sanding. You don't want show quality results, but you also don't want people getting sea sick when they look down the sight lines of your fenders :p.

Look up a few videos on using a guide coat and a long board. It's a simple process and really takes you from amateur hour to looking like you know what you are doing haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom