Body Damage on 1995 FJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All,

I hope this the right place for this.

A buddy of mine had his beautiful 1995 FJ80 hit while parked this past winter. He's tired of paying to have it stored and is willing to give to me for next to nothing. (already got the insurance payout)

Has anyone had any experience with replacing the rear quarter panel as shown in the photos? Does anyone have any ballpark estimates of cost to cut out and replace that panel - is it even worth it?

Aside from the body damage the only other major work would be replacing the rear axel and maybe the drive shaft.

Its got 145k on it and seems like it could potentially be a great deal if the costs aren't too high.

Curious to know your thoughts.

Thanks!

IMG_6675.jpeg

IMG_7019.jpeg

IMG_7024.jpeg

Edit - I forgot to he claims the frame is unscathed!

Trail rig or part out. If you want to replace the quarter panel you need a huge cut from a donor. Then you'd need to find a body shop even willing to touch it. Not likely when they have months of easy paying insurance work. Rear left of the frame is damaged.

My guess is the interior is in great shape and most of the sheet metal looks good. Any more pics?

What was the repair estimate (not vehicle value)?

Looks like minimum $10,000 in body damage (quarter panel, hatch, lift gate, wheel hump/floor) and repaint at least what's replaced so you would need a donor vehicle with either a blown engine or body damage on the front or other side. They are around but shipping would be cost prohibitive, you would have to find another 80 within reasonable tow truck drive distance and either buy a large cut or the whole vehicle/body. Then the body shop would cut out what they need.

Rear axle looks tweaked also. Another reason to find a donor vehicle. Does it have locking differentials front and rear?

Assume it now has a salvage title?

Being NY, how's the frame look (rust)??

Definitely a part out or trail rig.

You could look for a clean high mileage 95 for a good deal and than you would have a nice low mileage drive train to swap over.

Looks like the gold rav4 in the first pic was also a victim. Parking on the street there must be risky!

"Looks like the gold rav4 in the first pic was also a victim."

Wonder if a snowplow damaged both vehicles??

I’ve seen worse. Quarter panel weld in isn’t that difficult or expensive. New used lift gate if needed and a tailgate. Check the frame, if it’s good then this isn’t bad at all. 6K. Unless you want a trail rig. Low miles is great. If rust isn’t at stage 4, I’d Make A Cruiser Great Again.

Tons of peeps on here buy damaged rigs for parts and make money off part rigs. It depends on what you would like to do with a 80 series LC....If you are into outdoorsy stuff and like to go offroading/camping, then this is a no brainer for someone got this for a next to nothing deal. If you are just into it because like most ppl just into the looks and mall crawl or what not, sell it to peeps on here that part rigs..win win situation nonetheless. If you into rockcrawling, this will be perfect. I have seen trail rigs with worst body damage than that and are treated like gold.

What was the repair estimate (not vehicle value)?

Looks like minimum $10,000 in body damage (quarter panel, hatch, lift gate, wheel hump/floor) and repaint at least what's replaced so you would need a donor vehicle with either a blown engine or body damage on the front or other side. They are around but shipping would be cost prohibitive, you would have to find another 80 within reasonable tow truck drive distance and either buy a large cut or the whole vehicle/body. Then the body shop would cut out what they need.

Rear axle looks tweaked also. Another reason to find a donor vehicle. Does it have locking differentials front and rear?

Assume it now has a salvage title?

Being NY, how's the frame look (rust)??
Yes. That rear axel is bent diagonally.

Will need to repair the rear axle (possibly replace).
Definitely need to replace the rear control arms on the rear axle.

Need to replace the driveshaft and probably rear springs.

The rear quarter will be a fair amount for cutting and replacing. It's do-able.

@slow95z or @arcteryx (GA and TX respectively) can provide replacement body sections that you could have cut and shipped to you, then you can do the work and repaint.

Rear DS: $400
Rear Control Arms: $300
Rear Axle (complete): $400
Rear Quarter Cut: $400
Rear axle rebuild parts: $200
Rear axle springs: $500
Rear Axle Shocks: $200
Rear Wheel: $75
Taillight Assy: $75
Fuel Fill pipe: $75 (must be from a scrapper as these are NLA)
Paint (material): $300
LR Bumper Corner: $75

Parts: $3000
Labor (Hours):
Rear Axle swap: 6 hours
Rear axle rebuild: 3 hours
Rear axle control arm replacement: 4 hours
Brake Bleeding: 2 hours
Rear DS swap: 1 hour
Remove interior: 2 hours
Cut quarter: 5 hours
Weld in quarter: 10 hours
Body and paint: 20 hours
Glass R/R: 3 hours

Total: 56 hours (Est). x $165/hour = $9240

How much can you do yourself?

What other costs will you incur?

I see the MINIMUM repair costs as $12,240 with the cost of labor. This does NOT include painting the rest of the truck to match.

Depending on how much you're willing and able to do will determine if it's worthwhile to YOU to have it.

I bought a cheap truck, then threw $6000 in parts and about 3 weeks of my time at it to become my Daily Driver.

Hey @slow95z do you have a Rear Left quarter cut or full LH side member available to ship? I have the same damage as OP on my 1996 FZJ80, but only the quarter panel (everything else is in great shape on my rig)
i do, sent you a pm with some info.

Perfect rig for an Aussie Ute chop!
$_58.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom