Body and paint White 60. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kelly saad

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Hello everyone.

Many of you have seen my postings, offering bodywork and paint, and perhaps some previous work that I have done. I now have a new 2000 sq ft shop with a paint booth, so everything is moving along nicely.

This 60 had rusty quarters, inner fenders and a fair-sized rust hole in the rocker panel. The vehicle is disassembled thoroughly, and bodywork is near completion.

The project:
1. Cut out rusted quarter panels, and rusted areas of inner fenders & tailgate.
2. Rebuild/fabricate new inner fender sections, weld in.
3. Cut quarter panels down to desired size, weld in.
4. Replace tailgate.
5. Repair rust hole in rocker, weld in new metal, fabricate to fit.
6. Weld closed all holes in rocker panels.
7. Remove seam sealer in roof gutters, and windshield area, repair any rust, seal again.
8. Remove seam sealer in lower doors, treat surface rust, new seam sealer and paint.
9. Fiberglass reinforced filler on all welds/seams, then filler.
10. Rustproofing/sealer on all accessible, inner areas that were repaired.
11. Exterior paint, no jambs. wet sand, and polish.

View attachment 2277947

Rear quarter panel replacement

p8hWUPPOQVyEsH4y+R33Ww.jpg

YdxK7%CUTxWUXlro3Z82YA.jpg

Today: Cleaned and sanded most of the vehicle, applied filler. More photos soon. Notice the awesome foam jackstands! It's the new thing. ;)

QZu7mpbgRHK0dM0FOnDzVg.jpg

Nice work! Glad you are doing this.

Sometimes there are surprises gift wrapped under a previous paint job. This tailgate was rejected and a different one purchased to replace it. Rust holes packed with fiberglass filler, as shown in these pics.

60670578119__F66DC99F-6205-443C-AC3D-032ABC593951.JPG
60670582071__C7862617-924A-44E8-8DDE-361390A39ED8.JPG

This rig has been offering up gifts like this since day one when I bought it. Thanks for all of the great work you are doing to her.

Hail damage repair on hood. Also, the front of these hoods will most likely have rock chips across the front. If the vehicle has been repainted previously, then it's very possible that the old rock chips are trapped underneath and rusting/rusted. It is best to remove the paint to bare metal and investigate.

nrJkGjm2SgOmblBxehyksQ.jpg
zrfw3RgRTUqdnDxxvnGS%A.jpg

Almost there, paint day is close!

I decided to remove all the paint in the window channel to bare metal. Grind out all the rust spots, soak with rust dissolver, and POR 15 the whole channel. Since this is a common rust problem area on these vehicles, then I will do this on every 60/62 that is in my shop. I think its the best approach to preserving these window channels and preventing future rust.

dnqr7ZugRC+joUMeaaFCrg.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom