Body and paint gray 62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kelly saad

Supporting Vendor
Threads
62 converted to a 60 front end. This is a very clean vehicle and that is an understatement. This thing is AMAZING! The mechanical work and interior are just beautiful, much love has already been poured into this 62.

I did find rust hidden in the lower doors. I have separated all the skins, and now I can access all the rust that was pinched in there. It is an area that seems to rust on these vehicles often and is impossible to access unless the skin is separated.

The project:
1. Disassemble vehicle, remove doors, tailgate and hatch.
2. Prep jambs.
3. Repair rust in rocker/lower fender.
4. Weld closed all holes in rocker panels.
5. Remove seam sealer in roof gutters, and windshield area, repair any rust, seal again.
6. Remove seam sealer in lower doors, separate skin on the lower section of all 4 doors and tailgate. Remove and treat surface rust, paint with POR-15 all areas, crimp skins back into place, new seam sealer.
7. Filler on all dings/dents.
8. Paint jambs and install doors, hatch and tailgate.
9. Exterior paint, B/C, wet sand, and polish.

5ijOZ8x+TQmWma45rzUnKA.jpg

I presume you mean the factory holes for the snake blinders (rocker trim), and not the drain holes along the bottom lip. Those should be left open....

I presume you mean the factory holes for the snake blinders (rocker trim), and not the drain holes along the bottom lip. Those should be left open....
Yea, not the drain holes

Clean gutters, not a spot of rust anywhere. The lower window has a small amount of rust, and one hole I will need to cut out and replace. The driver's side weep hole, underneath the seal likes to rust out on these. This one looks pretty nice though.

wjaPeqgjT+S6eIU%6ke9yA.jpg
bqD1h3WNQ4Kx9aZe94gHug.jpg

Example of how I separate the lower door skin to access all the rust that grows in there. This was taken after the loose rust was removed, it was completely full of rust.

vFFp0WjrTaG3+4t7ZDAnSQ.jpg

@kelly saad what are you using to peel back the crimp on the skins and what are you re-crimping with?
I am peeling it pack with several different tools because its quite the bear. After its done, I use the pneumatic door skinning tool made by Astro.

Looks like it's coming together nicely!
Thanks! It is moving along finally. After disassembling this vehicle, I have closely observed your work and it is outstanding! These days it's so nice to see a shop that really focuses close attention to details as you guys do! Beautiful job, really.

Pitted rust on the lower fender. Sometimes if rust isn't too extensive, and has not formed a hole, the best way to remove it is sandblasting. In the photo here, this is a pitted rust area after sandblasting. It leaves clean, rust-free metal that can be filled.

01EAQBLkRKWeywuezWa1UQ.jpg

Lower windshield rust. This forms often around the 2 drain holes. I removed the rusted piece and chased the rust by cutting more out until it looked clean. Then formed a piece to fit, weld it in, and grind it smooth.

%oUNYWQCQkmKH3+aPU06gw.jpg
gSI9C3jFSVikqh1CX79KNg.jpg
fullsizeoutput_21.jpeg

And the passenger side. It looked better than the driver's side, but I cut out a big piece anyway. After these are complete, I will be able to somewhat access the underneath side to seal it up. A new drain hole will need to be added.

fullsizeoutput_1f.jpeg
M+JeQpyrSI6314xMvxfDtw.jpg
fullsizeoutput_1e.jpeg
R1jj6m34SGiMKwBkwwt6QQ.jpg

Takes some skill to weld sheet metal with out burning through it- nice work!

How did you go about removing the sealant from the gutters? Seemed to work well
Actually, a cheap wire wheel, the small diameter one worked really well. It doesn't have to be at a high speed either, slower worked best. There are other abrasive wheels too but I liked that little one. It was thin enough that I could control it and not screw up the paint on the side. It helps to flip it to reverse and bend the wires back occasionally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom