Bobby (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Good score. Congrats! It obviously has never been off the pavement. It is a shame but you can fix that!

When you take off the roof rack, I wouldn't put it back on. If isn't strong enough to hold anything and just promotes rust. There are various threads on plugging up the holes, but to me, welding them shut is the best solution.

Yes indeedy. Looking at RTTs at some point, down the line. Would be sooner if Corporate was on-side. :)

Inspired me to change my photo this AM. Best movie ever.

Skip the silly-cone hose and go for Gates. Silicone hose actually allows water to pass through the wall and is unnecessary anyway. Green stripe is marketed as heavy duty/commercial grade. White Stripe is marketed more towards the automotive world and still very good hose. I was having trouble locating green stripe in the town where I lived when I bypassed my PHH but they had White stripe. The only apparent difference is a slightly thinner wall thickness.

If you don’t have a FSM, get one. It will prove indispensable as you endeavor to persevere through your new life. :p

Attack all coolant hoses before they let you down. Including the ones on the firewall, and to the rear heater. One of the first picks looks like you may also have a power steering leak, common especially at this age.

First things first, take it to a truck center and have it steam cleaned. You will be able to locate all leaks far quicker and wrenching on a clean cruiser is so much nicer than...

Baseline the bejesus out of it before taking any trips. How old is the radiator? Don't want the integral trans cooler to fail if it is too old.

If you can, replace all rubber under the hood including trans lines, power steering, vacuum etc. On the radiator OEM is fine but an old great MUD member (Tools r us) recommended a TYC radiator as he indicated they tend to cool better than the OEM and CSF. Hit up Wits-End for a modded blue fan clutch as well.

Enjoy and welcome to the cruiser world addiction!

Day 1 sort out - squirt mass quantities of degreaser at underside and go to town with paper towels and a paint scraper. Left giant mess in the middle of the garage and probably only got half of it. However, did get a good long look at the underside, lots of crud but nothing obvious leaking aside from the oil pump seal. Popped out the trapezoidal cover on the bell housing, dry as a bone in there. Good stuff.

On to the roof. Clay, then a light cut, and then some poly wax. Arm is sore and the roof looks marginally better, but it’s still toast. Looks better irl. If nothing else it’s protected now.

F5AEB006-EF01-49CA-A70C-1412C4AE08D4.jpeg

CF1FB381-50E0-40D2-BAC0-4D630C6F8C59.jpeg

Then just for sh*ts and giggles, I ordered the Hayden fan clutch at Pep Boys this morning. Pulled the old one, drove down, popped the new one in. Lo and behold, this the whole afternoon even after coming up the big hill that caused problems yesterday:

60B15D57-746E-433C-9DBB-312C2D7E0540.jpeg

This doesn’t excuse any of the other sort-out / baseline work that has to happen, just buys a week or so while the metric crap-ton of parts I’m going to order gets here. Not bad for 20 minutes and $40.

I'm digging the simulated wood grain. ;) Cool , no pun intended, that you seem to have solved the cooling problem but you are the first I've known of to put a Hayden fan clutch on their Land Cruiser.

I'm digging the simulated wood grain. ;) Cool , no pun intended, that you seem to have solved the cooling problem but you are the first I've known of to put a Hayden fan clutch on their Land Cruiser.

It’s gross and needs to go, I understand you can fire up the heater on a hot day, close up the car, come back 20 min later and they’ll practically be falling off the dash, right? RIGHT??

I read about that fan clutch elsewhere on Mud. I’d be happy to get a year out of it tbh. Really was just a “I wonder if that’d help?” thing. The old one spun in my hand, pretty much zero friction. I’m thinking this is solved as far as it goes, but it’s still not going far from home until I get the rest of the cooling system sorted.

Also forgot to mention, working on that steering wheel centering. Checked toe with plates and bang on 2.5mm toe in, so good there, but the adjustment bar threads were a little rusty. Took a little PB liquid persuasion to get it moving, got it going but realized I need to unmount the driver’s side damper bolt to keep adjusting or I’m doing it wrong. And...I got a good look at my Gabriel shocks. Added to the list.

Last edited:
You can read about how to open up the Aisin fan clutch and replace the oil.

Last edited:
Attack all coolant hoses before they let you down. Including the ones on the firewall, and to the rear heater. One of the first picks looks like you may also have a power steering leak, common especially at this age.

First things first, take it to a truck center and have it steam cleaned. You will be able to locate all leaks far quicker and wrenching on a clean cruiser is so much nicer than...

Baseline the bejesus out of it before taking any trips. How old is the radiator? Don't want the integral trans cooler to fail if it is too old.

If you can, replace all rubber under the hood including trans lines, power steering, vacuum etc. On the radiator OEM is fine but an old great MUD member (Tools r us) recommended a TYC radiator as he indicated they tend to cool better than the OEM and CSF. Hit up Wits-End for a modded blue fan clutch as well.

You don't want to wash the engine until you have waterproofed all the electrical connectors under the hood first. Otherwise you'll have all kinds of electrical gremlins pop up.

:lol: Love the Lego tool idea!

New day, first order of business - write CDan for parts. That took all of 1 day. I called around looking for a truck center to do the steam cleaning but didn’t find one close. Called a detailer, but they don’t do this any more, something about “hazardous waste in CA”. The leak in the photo is from the oil pump and / or front crank seal. Confirmed yesterday rolling in the muck. PS down below looks pretty dry, will check the hoses topside as they were a bit greasy.

Radiator is from 2009, aftermarket installed by the dealer at 131K miles. After reading up I may just replace, will check into the TYC option as well.

Heads up CDan is long since retired from the parts guru business. Search mud for lots of good Toyota OEM parts options. Odd that a dealer would put in an aftermarket radiator. A local Indy shop yes. But not a dealer.

Heads up CDan is long since retired from the parts guru business. Search mud for lots of good Toyota OEM parts options. Odd that a dealer would put in an aftermarket radiator. A local Indy shop yes. But not a dealer.
Bugger... will do. Thought it was weird too, but have the receipt and it’s from some radiator shop in LA. I’ll take a closer look at the unit for any brand marks, but don’t remember seeing any.

Good looking rig. Best Colour too! LOL
Welcome to the madness.

My phone reminded me this AM with a pic of The Bean, 2 years ago this week I took ownership of mine.
Good luck with the base lineing. Don't worry too much about the leaks; its the ACIS working (Automatic Corrosion Inhibiting System).

Monday morning agenda - order up a bunch of parts for the cooling system refresh and a few cosmetic bugaboos - sunroof trim, antenna mast, etc. Glad to support Wits End @NLXTACY for the big stuff and ordered up a few other items from the dealer and Rockauto. Also ordered some 15K fluid for the original fan clutch and the OBD2 scanner to keep track of it all. Ought to keep me occupied for at least a weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom