Boating.....

scottm

She's a beauty!
Thanks! I'm losing too much sleep in worry and excitement about it. I'm scheduled to turn around and come back to Narita for five days when my son and I get home, but...*cough cough*, not sure how I'll be feeling.

Might need to run and buy a trailer, haul my buddies boat out and fit the bunks, then rent a truck and go get my boat.

scottm

Nine-hour drive up to see that boat, and it was in a lot worse shape than the ad and conversations with the seller let on. Probably worth it to the right person, with the new engines. Damage and poorly matched gelcoat repairs all around the hull, deck, superstructure. Wiring messes. Great project boat if anyone wants one, I don't have time.

Then I stopped and looked at one that is basically a barn-find to me, looks factory new, been sitting a decade. Second-to-last Express Cruiser made by Chris Craft, here in my home town, 45 years ago. I crawled around the engines and bilge and came out cleaner than I went in, how did he put 500 hours on it and not get anything dirty? I'd feel guilty getting this one wet, but I put in an offer ,and waiting to hear back. Why yes, those are varnished mahogany engine beds under those engines. The fiberglass stringers underneath were made in a separate mold and glassed in, no wood in them.

Everything is clean, unmolested, weirdly perfect.
1572372651874.png

1572372791657.png

1572372823022.png

1572372862413.png

Last edited:

stevezero

SILVER Star

Opposite end of Scott's adventures, I participated in a regional championship regatta this past weekend down in metro Charlotte. Finished 2nd by 1 point to a 6 time national champion. we had two finishes less than 18 inches between bows at the line. Considering how I could barely get out of bed on the Sunday and Monday before the event with a messed up back, my chiropractor and I will take that as a win.

Before we got started on saturday. only the 4th time this boat has been on the water.

20191026_083757.jpg

short video of some of the starts and action. two fleets, even/odd scoring split the fleet, to keep from having 17 boats crashing the start line.

scottm

Just walking away can be the hardest thing sometimes, good luck with the next contender!
The only thing hard about walking away was not hurting the lady's feelings. Widowed a few months, selling her husband's stuff to get by, but kinda creepy. She wanted to keep bargaining and bargaining, I ended up convincing her I'd come back and we'd run the engines before I could decide. Good boat if I wanted a project, but I don't.

The one I just posted about is the winner, absolutely gorgeous. I just signed my offer, hope to hear back soon. It is in storage far away until spring.

scottm

Offer accepted, check overnighted to the broker, pretty excited.

The owner never polished the gelcoat, didn't want to cut into it, only applied wax, kept it like a museum piece. I opened everything I could, looked behind everything, did not find a single added hole or wire or mark anywhere. It is completely factory original perfect. Original 45-yr-old fire extinguishers still in their holders. Original 45-yr-old bilge pumps. Tags on the engines have dates for every year in storage when they oiled and turned the engines.

So now I have a dilemma: I can't put it in the water without doing some mods to this museum piece. I need modern bilge pumps, I'll have to epoxy in mounts and cut into the wiring. There is no radio, I need to drill holes for a radio and for an antenna. Various mods needed before I drive it across Lake Michigan next spring. And then I'll surely be bouncing that flawless hull off pilings, scuffing it with bumpers, and my friends and family will be on it. I intend to have fun with my boat, don't want to feel guilty.
1572464268150.png

1572464290208.png

1572464312421.png

1572464354682.png

1572464381074.png

scottm

@scottm just measure three times before you cut/drill and you should be good. I share your same thoughts about cutting/drilling into boats. Where are you sailing her home from?
My worry isn't about mis-drilling. This is I'm sure the only factory original, unmolested '60s-'70s cruiser in existence. Of any brand. Drilling that first hole would be ending that status. Maybe if I take it across town to the old Chris Craft factory where it was built and do it there, I could claim it was done at the factory?

Top Bottom