boat question.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

wob

Threads
Well guys, I have neglected my boat for the last 2 1/2 years. :frown: Any suggestions or wonder products you can recommend to clean it well? You can see in the pics, she is pretty dang dirty.
sc 001 (Small).jpg
sc 002 (Small).jpg
sc 004 (Small).jpg

Lots of elbow grease!

Get a orbital buffer and some fine cut FG cleaner. Wash the boat down well with a stiff brisol brush and my secret weapon, tide. After it is dry go to town with the buffer and cleaner.

I have spent many a great day off shore fishing in a Sea Craft! Have fun!

Fly Rod

Tidy bowl toilet cleaner works well on stubborn stains. Bar-Keeper's Friend also works well as a mild abraisive cleaner. Use a product called Wink for rust stains.

BTW, Nice lookin's Sea Craft. Always liked their hull design.

Take your engine in for servicing. Your water pump impellor has most likely taken a set or has become brittle. I would recommend the 100 hour tune up.

Capt. Jim said:
Tidy bowl toilet cleaner works well on stubborn stains. Bar-Keeper's Friend also works well as a mild abraisive cleaner. Use a product called Wink for rust stains.

BTW, Nice lookin's Sea Craft. Always liked their hull design.

Take your engine in for servicing. Your water pump impellor has most likely taken a set or has become brittle. I would recommend the 100 hour tune up.

Thanks. She's a 76. the engine is definitely due for servicing. think the gas is still good? ;)

Hudson sprayer, 10% clorox solution....that will get rid of a lot of what appears to be mildew. For the hull....same Hudson tank sprayer, phosphoric acid dilution, spray, let it sit about 20 minutes and pressure wash. I've done a lot of fixed keel sailboats that way.
GL

Ed

Spray Nine does an amazing job cleaning up fiberglass including mildew stains. If you find any rust stains, Zud will take them out but you should wet it and let it sit rather than scrubbing since it is somewhat abrasive.

I often find cleaning up the vinyl is the most difficult. Maybe someone else knows of a good product to clean up the vinyl.

She's a nice looking boat and I'm sure it will look fantastic after a good cleaning and a good coat of wax.

(And why hasn't she been used in 2 1/2 years, unless you can catch fish in your driveway? ;) )

its worth the stinky trouble to remove the old gas from the tank and lines.
unless you used Sta-Bil, theres no worries.
you have the miracle fluid already, right above the steering wheel.

for corosion on chrome and such, use steel wool and Mother's chrome polish.

carolina_cruiser said:
(And why hasn't she been used in 2 1/2 years, unless you can catch fish in your driveway? ;) )

I used to live in Charleston, and used it every weekend. Then, I got married, moved inland, and had kids. The lake here is stumpy in parts, and I didn't want to trash it. So, I slowly trashed it by neglect instead. :frown: But, I'm going to clean it and start using it more or either sell it. My problem is, I have too many fond memories in that boat to sell it, so I doubt I ever will.

WristPin said:
for corosion on chrome and such, use steel wool and Mother's chrome polish.

Did you know that SeaFoam is also a gas stabilizer? Good s***.

And on the SS, Magic Wadding is what I have always used as upkeep, if it is really baaaaad, maybe steel wool, but very, very fine steel wool. I don't like to use steel wool in a marine application because it leaves little fibers that can and do rust. And too coarse will scratch stainless.
I have a copper bartop and have used several things on it, but Bar Keepers Friend is the shiznit. No scratchy, mucho polish.:)

GL

Ed

with a bfh and wd40 on the dash you obviously need no advice ;)

use abrasive cleaners or cutting compound as a last resort. clean the crap out of it first with a good degreaser and some sponges and then move to a pressure washer and see what you have left. i'd definitely ditch the gas including draining the filters and also change out the injector oil. that looks like a sweet boat. it would cost a lotta scratch around here.

semlin said:
with a bfh and wd40 on the dash you obviously need no advice ;)

it would cost a lotta scratch around here.

lol. the steering wheel was toast and should have replaced years ago. It was truly a beeotch coming off. guess you didn't notice the propane torch at the bottom of that pic? ; )

i told two of my friends in the spring that if either one came up with 4k, it was theirs. Neither did. kinda glad i didn't now.

Last edited:
running and clean its worth well north of $10k up here depending on what size that motor is, but like all boats it might take a while to sell. it's a weird thing but any decent white hull east coast boat in the 19-24 ft range with an oversized outboard fetches a premium up here because there is a very limited supply and it's what all the broker types want. you'd think grady whites were made of gold.

semlin said:
running and clean its worth well north of $10k up here depending on what size that motor is, but like all boats it might take a while to sell. it's a weird thing but any decent white hull east coast boat in the 19-24 ft range with an oversized outboard fetches a premium up here because there is a very limited supply and it's what all the broker types want. you'd think grady whites were made of gold.

no doubt on the gradys. whalers are like that here, too.

btw, its got a 175 on the back. where are you located?

I have a center console as well--I would guess a bit smaller--it is a boston whaler. A pressure washer works great but be carefull--I pulled back the gel coat by mistake once. Also there is a product called sea gel by davis great for getting stains out. 3m makes the best polish and wax--I worked for Westmarine for 5 years while attending college. I bet your steering is frozen.--have fun:)

http://classic-motoring.stores.yahoo.net/davisfsr.html

SR.GRINGO said:
I have a center console as well--I would guess a bit smaller--it is a boston whaler. A pressure washer works great but be carefull--I pulled back the gel coat by mistake once. Also there is a product called sea gel by davis great for getting stains out. 3m makes the best polish and wax--I worked for Westmarine for 5 years while attending college. I bet your steering is frozen.--have fun:)

http://classic-motoring.stores.yahoo.net/davisfsr.html

Tell me about frozen steering. The wheel turns, but the motor no movey. But, a while ago, the hydraulic line popped off and lost fluid. Think I just need to add fluid, bleed, and be good to go? I don't know the first thing about hydraulics.

Degnol said:
maybe steel wool, but very, very fine steel wool. I don't like to use steel wool in a marine application because it leaves little fibers that can and do rust.

Bronze wool works well, with no residual fibers that cause rust stains.

Renyolds wrap will fix pitted chrome. Just crumple up a piece and burnish out the pits and rust. I did a truck bumper and all the fixtures in our first "fixer upper" house, the pits never came back.

Capt. Jim said:
Bronze wool works well, with no residual fibers that cause rust stains.

The same reason you use bronze brushes when working on wood and brightwork. Even the highest grade stainless steel wire brushes will loose residual material that will rust at sea. It's especially bad when it's embedded in wood and the rust strikes.

Last edited:
Here is everyones answer to rust stains on fiberglass, rust on vinal, ect ect. Ive been saltwater fishing for quite a while and tried everything from A to Z. I use to keep my boat in the harbor (salt water) and had to have divers come out to clear the barnacles and alge. And I can promise you the onlything that really works without damaging the jellcoat and not haveing to rub untill your arms are numb is one product....Simple green, this stuff is amazeing and after yeas of scrubbing and damaging my jellcoat I was in aww when my buddie turned me on to this stuff. It wipes off rust in one pass and does no damage to the paint and jell...I dont have any relations with this company..im just happy to share it with you..try it out and pm me on what you think..i use it on my crusier as well..

rusty_tlc said:
Renyolds wrap will fix pitted chrome. Just crumple up a piece and burnish out the pits and rust. I did a truck bumper and all the fixtures in our first "fixer upper" house, the pits never came back.

If someone has chrome on a boat that sees salt water, they should be shot.