Boat advice 20ft range, bow rider, I/O engine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,
Since the free boat deal fell through months ago, I would like to look at buying a boat. I would like the boat to be at least 20ft but no more than 25ft. Since I most likely would not be sleeping on it, a bow rider would be fine, and I want an I/O set up. I would like to stay away from jet boats. I know the common brands such as Sea Ray, etc but what about some other brands? Is there a major difference in quality? Any names I should look at?
A good family just got a 2000 Chaperral 20 ft cuddy, with a V8; he paid $11,000 for it. It is a very nice boat, but what about the brand? I would like to stay in the range of $11,000 - 13,000. This would be my first entry into the boating world. Any tips.

Thanks,
Zack

Why in the world would you want an I/O?

What you really need is a 20 foot 1976 SeaCraft. I know someone who has a sweet one that they might sell.

wob said:
Why in the world would you want an I/O?

Well what are the pros and cons of an I/O v. Outboard?

Thanks,
Zack

Zack1978 said:
Well what are the pros and cons of an I/O v. Outboard?

Thanks,
Zack

When the outboard craps out, you loosen four bolt and toss it, and put a new one on. :D

I guess for the type of boat you are looking for, I/Os will be what's out there. I just prefer outboards for ease of working on.

i don't know, i was just saying good luck.

If i was to buy another boat right now i'd get a Lurhs 41 convertible :)

beaufort-fj60 said:
i don't know, i was just saying good luck.

If i was to buy another boat right now i'd get a Lurhs 41 convertible :)

anybody around your way looking to get rid of a 17 montauk on the cheap?
:D

Chapparals are nice boats, SeaRay, Cobalt, Welcraft, are also safe bets. I just bought a 22' 1991 Cobalt 454, I/O that looks like new for $12,500. Sucks the gas down like a vacuum though. Baja's smaller run abouts are a little slower but very heavy well built hulls. Nadaguides.com has a boat option where you can research prices.

Stay away from bayliner, 4 Winns and Glastron boats. History of problems in the year ranges for the price range you're looking at and doesn't matter when you buy them the value will go down rapidly.

Zack1978 said:
Any names I should look at?

You should be able to find something decent in that price range, here you could. Figure out exactly what you want to do with it, then pick the style, then research those type boats. Jet boats really aren't bad, in fact they have their pros.

A buddy of mine had a nice Trojan cabin cruiser a few years ago. A BIG boat for sure but comfortable and plentiful on the market.

If there is one piece of advice I could give is that if you are new to boating, take a CG course and think smaller rather than larger boat. You need to learn the rules of the road so yer not just another idiot out there and you need to be able to manuver the vessel near docks and in rough seas, way too many people get in over their heads with big boats.

wob said:
anybody around your way looking to get rid of a 17 montauk on the cheap?
:D

I do pass by an old BW with a wooden CC everyday, not sure if it's a 17. The guy/girl has it in their front yard with a for sale sign on it.

bridges said:
Chapparals are nice boats, SeaRay, Cobalt, Welcraft, are also safe bets. I just bought a 22' 1991 Cobalt 454, I/O that looks like new for $12,500. Sucks the gas down like a vacuum though. Baja's smaller run abouts are a little slower but very heavy well built hulls. Nadaguides.com has a boat option where you can research prices.

Stay away from bayliner, 4 Winns and Glastron boats. History of problems in the year ranges for the price range you're looking at and doesn't matter when you buy them the value will go down rapidly.

I guess its the same glastron, but there is a glastron factory in Columbia SC, in the past they made the Real Redneck bass boats. Usually with shag carpet and lots and lots of sparkles.

I had an old Glastron cruiser/ski boat back in HS. :hillbilly:

I/Os take up a lot of cockpit space and use more fuel IMO. Boat Trader will help you find price ranges and sizes for your area.

http://www.boattraderonline.com/

I have had I/Os in the past and they seemed to give more problems compared to the newer outboards. Get fuel injection! Carbs are hard to maintain and cost a lot if you have to replace. Get more power than you think you will need. (You Will) Minimum power on a boat uses more fuel and works harder than a larger power unit.