BMW 328i leather heated seats (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

torfab

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.torfab.com
I installed a set of BMW 328i leather heated seats into a customers 1988 FJ62 this week. I have a few comments about them, but I'm now going to only do BMW seats for my clients conversions.

I have done volvo seats and they're great, but end up too tall and the airbag thing scares me a bit. I did Mercedes leather heated into a 1989 FJ62 once, and they were great except the divorced switch.

My client wanted leather seats, but didn't like the way he fit into the volvo seats. He thought the seat backs were too short for his size, and the headrest was too funky. I searched high and low for a good set of leather seats, trying different styles and reading about different installs.

My client calls me and says "I remember once I had a bmw 325 in the 90's, and that car was the only one I was really comfortable in" - well, now that we have a target, I went to wrecking yards in search of clean, grey leather heated seats.

I'll say the install was minimal on the fab side, I made 2 crossmembers, one from angle, and one from 1x3" square tube. The crossmembers mount to the seat rails, and then bolt to stock locations.

The wiring was really straight forward. 3 wires for power (positive, negative, constant positive memory), and 3 for heat (one ground and positive for bottom and back).
1102 179.jpg
1102 192.jpg
1102 180.jpg

Those look amazing! I bought a donor HJ60 that was originally imported from Germany. Has Saab grey leather heated seats. The heated leather is a really nice upgrade.

Those look sweet ..

Is the owner of the truck a big guy ? I'm 6'3" almost 300#'s and have been trying to find some nice leather seats for my 60. i'll have to check out some 328 seats.

Thanks
Chris
:cheers:

Wow. I think that this was the post that i've been waiting for. Those seats really look like they belong in that interior! BMW seats have got to be a little easier to find than saab or volvo seats (at least here in AZ) too. I think i'll head to the yard this weekend and try and find a pair - thanks for posting this!

Is the seat heater switch integrated into the seat?

wow those look GREAT! Any possibility checking those out next local meeting? i'd love to see how they fit my lanky butt. If you measure the seat length (front to back) how do they compare with stock length?

They tilt (back down, front up)?

ooooh... temptation. those look so nice and I've always said my seats are so nice and stock looks just right... you are evil Tor!

e36 (1992- 1999 BMW 3- series) seats aren't too expensive. They come in lots of flavors-
leather, cloth, vinyl, sport, power, manual... and black, grey, blue and tan, at least.
A lot of times you can pick up the 'base' seat pretty cheaply as people upgrade
to the sportier or leatherier ones.
I do caution that they are pretty lightweight-
I've owned 2 e36's and repaired both driver's seats. With a welder.
It says something that I fixed them, though- I too find them to be pleasantly comfortable
and pretty supportive.

But then, I find the entire 325 to be that way in an urban environment. SHame they always break.

t

Any chance that would work in an 80? Those seats notoriously fall apart.

My truck REALLY needs new seats. Those looks nice...but one that is heated and offers alot of options is what I am looking for.

Very nice. Got any close-up pics of the mounting you did? It gave me another idea to investigate for mounting my Mazda seats :D

Those look nice. I was just starting a list of options for mine based on earlier posts, I'll definitly be adding this one.

Hey fellas if you're into these seats and want to look for some of your own try these forums.

http://www.bimmerforums.com

http://www.e46fanatics.com

Most BMW seats after 1993 will be similar to this or have fewer options so wiring is easier. I've been around BMW's for the last 10 years and really enjoy my 2003 325i.

I would think the hard part about this would be actually finding good quality used BMW seats for a decent price. I only know of one junk yard near me, and I am sure that they don't have any seats available.

Zack

Just an update to this thread, my client is back for service, and the interior of the cruiser now smells like that high quality BMW leather.

mmmmmmm ---- sweeeeeeeet

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom