Bluetooth Stereo Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
145D3E0A-2B7E-4F3D-82E8-B8CBD8353D9C.jpeg
B12F938C-BBC1-492F-A35E-EF688A284515.jpeg
BF108564-D951-490E-A4F8-AC57A0FB5C6B.jpeg
D164C2BF-1594-4FCD-8604-546C5F389A00.jpeg
DE9E666F-034B-4A96-B92B-1D3BBD4C417F.jpeg
I would like to share a Bluetooth stereo install that is non-invasive to most vehicles.

I started with an Out of Sight audio Mark 1 Bluetooth stereo system. It is a small (6”x4”x1”) 75 watt per channel (X 2) stereo receiver. It is not hooked up to any radio or other stereo unit. It is hidden in my console and is not necessary to access after install. Unit is grounded to bottom of metal console. I ran a 16 gauge red wire from battery positive to a LED lighted switch on dash through a 15 amp fuse. The wire then continues to unit. The unit remains off until you throw the switch on the dash. I used an existing 1/2” diameter cutout that was already in dash for the switch. I used an LED so my wife would not forget and leave the unit on when not in use. I considered using the ignition ACC switch as an option, but decided to go with dash switch so unit could be instantly turn on or off. The two (max number) speakers are Bose 161 bookshelf speakers. They had the right Ohm impedance for the unit. The two speakers are simply zip tied to the rollbar behind front seats.

The Bluetooth system works great. After your device locates the “OOSA”, it pairs quickly and starts playing your tunes. Volume is controlled through device. When first powered on, the volume starts out at a lower level, not on max , even if your device is on max volume before starting. The system will only recognize one device at a time, and a device must be unpaired or not on range before another device can be paired. My device remembers OOSA and pairs quickly after throwing switch.

I added a USB charger to bottom of console that can handle two charging cords.

Nice and clean. In my install, Bluetooth dongle to amp (no radio) I have no power to the amp and dongle when the truck is off. The only annoying issue I have is I must “forget” the Bluetooth on my phone an re-pair each time I restart the truck.

If I am reading your thread correctly, your phone pairs automatically even if there’s no power to the unit; yes?

Nice clean install!

Similar to @brooklyn i chose a BT dongle to amp (both JL Audio). I also ran mine to a rocker switch so the circuit is only 'on' when wanted. Mine phone only attempts to auto pair with the dongle when switched 'on'...which is my desired effect.

Cool. I plan to do that or something similar in the not too distant future. Similar to brooklyn's question above, does the dongle require an "always on" hot lead or is that out of convenience so that when you're, say, stepping out for gas that it won't have to re-pair when you get back in a few minutes later?

I would like to share a Bluetooth stereo install that is non-invasive to most vehicles.

I started with an Out of Sight audio Mark 1 Bluetooth stereo system.

Thanks for this post! I had seen the OOS unit before but didn't really look at it that closely. I was headed down the path of installing a 24-12 VDC converter, relays and a new head unit in my diesel cruiser. Now I'm going to send all that crap back and get me an OOS Mark 1. The specs show it will run with 24 VDC input.

The OOS unit is a bit pricey, but I believe "you get what you pay for." And this unit has non-volatile memory, so no need to re-pair.

Excellent. Thanks!

Last edited:
Nice and clean. In my install, Bluetooth dongle to amp (no radio) I have no power to the amp and dongle when the truck is off. The only annoying issue I have is I must “forget” the Bluetooth on my phone an re-pair each time I restart the truck.

If I am reading your thread correctly, your phone pairs automatically even if there’s no power to the unit; yes?

IN REPLY:
Below are a few tests that I did to see if my device “automatically “ connects when the mark 1 is powered on. My device is a Apple iPhone 6

First test - no contact between iPhone and Mark 1 for 5 days;

Result - after powering unit (Mark 1), did not pair automatically, had to pair manually ; worked great.

Second test - Immediately after first test, powered unit (Mark 1) off, backed to home screen on iPhone, powered unit back on, iPhone found OOSA, and automatically paired and played.

Third test - powered unit off, walked 50ft from unit with device, went back to home screen on device, walked back to unit, powered unit on, automatically paired and played.

Fourth test - powered unit off, walked 100 ft away from unit, shut down device for 10 seconds, powered device back on, walked towards unit, powered unit back on, automatically paired and played.

So the bottom line is the unit automatically pairs with the device “most” of the time.

It also may have something to do with other devices being paired with phone, in between pairing with the Mark I.

Below are a few tests that I did to see if my device “automatically “ connects when the mark 1 is powered on. My device is a Apple iPhone 6

Result - after powering unit (Mark 1), did not pair automatically, had to pair manually ; worked great.

Second test - Immediately after first test, powered unit (Mark 1) off, backed to home screen on iPhone, powered unit back on, iPhone found OOSA, and automatically paired and played.

Third test - powered unit off, walked 50ft from unit with device, went back to home screen on device, walked back to unit, powered unit on, automatically paired and played.

Fourth test - powered unit off, walked 100 ft away from unit, shut down device for 10 seconds, powered device back on, walked towards unit, powered unit back on, automatically paired and played.

So the bottom line is the unit automatically pairs with the device “most” of the time.

It also may have something to do with other devices being paired with phone, in between pairing with the Mark I.

Cool. I plan to do that or something similar in the not too distant future. Similar to brooklyn's question above, does the dongle require an "always on" hot lead or is that out of convenience so that when you're, say, stepping out for gas that it won't have to re-pair when you get back in a few minutes later?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom