Bluetooth options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Will I still be able to listen to CDs if I change to any of the Bluetooth options?

I have used a Fm transmitter until now.

Can you give us details on this?

To my knowledge, the bt tech is not supported by newer phones. Hopefully I am wrong.
My 2005 has a fully factory ML audio system, and my iphone pairs just fine to it via Bluetooth. Phone calls are clear to parties on both sides.

Bluetooth protocols for the most part are backwards compatible. So if the truck is 1.0 and the phone is 4.0, you get 1.0 communication. One limitation of the system is that I cannot audio stream music/podcasts through the factory audio system without some sort of adapter (BT tape, etc). But, for phone calls it works fine wirelessly.

I believe this was standard in LXs beginning in 2004 (not sure about LCs). Hope that clarifies?

Will I still be able to listen to CDs if I change to any of the Bluetooth options?

I have used a Fm transmitter until now.
Yes. I have had the BT45-TOY installed for several years -- still plays CDs and DVDs in the console CD exchanger. You just push DISC twice to cycle between actual discs and the BT unit.

The only "issue" we've had with the setup is switching to a different phone once one has already been connected to it. Basically I turn off the BT on the previously connected phone, turn off the head unit for a few seconds, then turn back on so it can find the new device. Sometimes takes a minute to connect but that usually does the trick.

I'd kinda say this simple BT module is one of the most practical $150 I've spent on our Cruiser to date, as it's utilized almost every time we drive it since installing

Can you give us details on this?

To my knowledge, the bt tech is not supported by newer phones. Hopefully I am wrong.
I can confirm my 2006 and 2007 both connected for BT hands free calls with no adaptors - straight factory nav and stereo system. I got rid of the 06 quite a few years ago and can't comment on how it worked with newer models. The 2007 connected at least through iPhone 8 models running whatever iOS was most current this time last year.

The BT connection through the nav systems works pretty well and is relatively seamlessly integrated with the steering wheel controls etc. I'm sure being 15 yr old technology (at least), more modern versions have better sound quality on calls, and I can confirm that call quality on my 2007 after I did the nav conversion and went to a modern CarPlay stereo was better, but the OEM bluetooth capability worked well enough. I can't personally confirm when BT became standard on the nav equipped LCs. I always assumed the 03-05 models had that capability just like my 06 and 07 since they appeared to have the same nav and stereo systems, but there may be some internals to those years that differ.

I bought a GROM and installed it. Their customer service is s***e!! They sent the wrong cable yoke and after days of back and forth sent the correct yoke for may ML disc-in head unit. After installation and everything working fine, phone included, I used the receiver. Wasn't able to get back to the GROM after that. During inquiry, found I needed to disconnect the HU from the power source for it to find the GROM unit again. So if I wanted to listen to the radio I would have to cut the power to the unit every time in order to return to the GROM. I let my emotions win and returned the GROM. I came back on here to see if anyone has used another system but alas I may have to eat crow. I will say the foam replacements for the speakers are fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom