Blue smoke on startup 2H (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.matt-mcalister.smugmug.com
My 2H has been smoking noticeably more when starting up cold. Also the oil pressure stays above 80psi, which is what my gauge goes to, till the engine is quite hot.

Cylinder # 2 has about 10% lower compression as discussed before here

https://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tec...ons-please.html?highlight=Blue+smoke+start+2h

It Has about 210,000KM now. I have never done a valve adjustment to the engine. Was done once at 108000

I just got back from a 4000km road trip truck ran very well. Lost/used about a litre of oil has a small leak 11.2 to 12.7 liters per 100km a tank.

Valve adjustment? Sea foam again?!

I too want to do the Sea Foam cylinder trick to my 2H except. I am waiting for an oil change to come up before I do it and I need a compression tester. I want too see if there is any changes in PSI.

On a side note.....

Where do you live? I live east of oshawa and I have seen a dolphin grey RHD high top 60 more than a few times. Once on the 401 going east of harmony and another time on HWY 2.

I also have a Grey RHD 89 60 that is currently running no bumpers and it has a safari snorkel on it. At least once a week I get "Hey, I seen you on such a day....I waved but you never waved back!" Or " i seen you got some bumpers on your truck now." last but not least "did you remove that muffler looking thing that comes out of your fender?" Clearly people are possibly getting our trucks mixed up.

Nice truck btw,

Phil

Went out to start the truck last night been about -1 here today and it was really hard to start took a couple of tries?? usually just jumps to life. hoping to do a compression test this weekend. feeling worried! ugh! still runs just fine when it's all warmed up. could if be valve guide seals? how do I check that type of thing?

When I did the seafoam last time it really reduced the blue smoke on startup. My compression did not change before and after.

I also have a Snorkel on my truck. I live Downtown but my truck stays at my Parents house in Etobicoke. I am not in the Eastend that often so it might be another truck! and I usually wave at anyone who waves at me! =]

well went out and started this morning jumped right to life as usual. I was thinking the hard start was due to some summer diesel in there from filling up down in Georgia and South Carolina?? or maybe some mostuire in the tank from the temp change?

RisingSun How is the turbo build going?

not much of a trick! just pulling the glow plugs and pouring seafoam into the cylinders let is sit over night spin the engine a few times to get the seafoam out pulgs back in take it for a drive. Prepare for a serious smoke screen I recommed doing it on back streets at night! change oil!

The Turbo build hit a brick wall with my truck for the moment.

I have recently purchased a parts 87 HJ60 from one of the guys on the forum. I just did the sea foam cylinder soak also. I ended up letting it sit with the sea foam a lot longer then wanted....about 60hrs. I put the glows back in and it fired right up. Spit out some soot and it was burning off the sea foam but, too no degree of a smoke screen that is often talked about. probably because it disappeared down into the crank case.

I too will do a post compression test to see if i have some better numbers. Not really expecting much cause i was getting an average of 400PSI anyways but i was hoping a few cylinders would come up atleast 10psi or so.

Also, how many times have you gotten pulled over in your truck? I just got pulled over for the 2nd time because "its RHD and i have a snorkel". Those were the exact words from the officer.

Phil

The Turbo build hit a brick wall with my truck for the moment.

I have recently purchased a parts 87 HJ60 from one of the guys on the forum. I just did the sea foam cylinder soak also. I ended up letting it sit with the sea foam a lot longer then wanted....about 60hrs. I put the glows back in and it fired right up. Spit out some soot and it was burning off the sea foam but, too no degree of a smoke screen that is often talked about. probably because it disappeared down into the crank case.

I too will do a post compression test to see if i have some better numbers. Not really expecting much cause i was getting an average of 400PSI anyways but i was hoping a few cylinders would come up atleast 10psi or so.

Also, how many times have you gotten pulled over in your truck? I just got pulled over for the 2nd time because "its RHD and i have a snorkel". Those were the exact words from the officer.

Phil

if you ever have to go to court take out the iphone and record the conversation. I plan on doing that. We have a bunch of ticket happy rookies in my home town. Luckly I don't drive like a jackass and get flagged.

Strange I have never been pulled over because of the RHD or Snorkle?

Actully the 2 times I have been pulled over the Cop started lecturing the passenger about this and that then I go HEY! I am driving "oh ahh ahaha didn't notice sorry!

although I was held @ the border for 1 1/2hr 2 weeks ago because the U.S. Border guard had a hardon and was so sure I was driving the truck down to sell it. never mind I had all of my camping stuff in the truck a bed and my Girlfriend who is a teacher and had to be back in a week! . it was a very unpleasant experience. I was close to just saying you know forget it just send me back to Canada and I will take my MONEY with me! some good quotes from the boarder guard.

"That Vehicle meets no safety standards" why did Ontario give me a safety then?

then I tell him we are going to Skidaway Island State Park in Georiga and he says

"How Do I know that place even exists" ummm the internet??

Really put me off entering the U.S. next vacation will be in Canada. and really he is doing a poor job of guarding the border as he had tunnel vision.

The officer...... after the interrogation of how it got to Canada and "what is this black thing here...tap...tap..tap with a pen". "Can you go under water?". "do you feel safe driving on the wrong side?''

Answers......

I didn't import it.

That thing your tapping is a snorkel.

Kinda but, no because my door seals are bad.

Yes, I feel safe driving my truck. My only concern are the people who gawk at me and drift into my lane while going on the hwy.

To clarify their response of the snorkel and RHD reasoning for pull-over. They wanted to make sure I had all my paper work but, apparently running my plate on their computer for the last 2 km's wasn't enough to satisfy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom