Blue smoke and heavy hesitation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I noticed an air leak after spraying seafoam in the intake where the exhaust manifold meets the pipe.
7.jpg

Stripped Valve cover bolt

9.jpg

VAF

0.jpg

These are all areas I can imagine are causing the misfire/stumble...
What am I missing or any suggestions?
Much appreciated

Are we talking massive stumble at idle or just the occasional shake?

Is it "running OK" and driveable now?

While the engine is idling, remove your oil cap on the valve cover. Does it MASSIVELY stumble and /or die? If so, that's good because it means you have few vacuum leaks. If it runs no different, then you have massive vacuum leaks and the computer has started compensating for all that.

Hey, it feels like a misfire at idle and while driving every 2 sec. Or so. A stumble, not major, it doesn't shake the car. Much better then when I started this threat.
When I remove the oil cap it starts to run like real s***.
Haven't been able to find any vacuum leaks... and then there is the 52 and 55 code. Thanks for your help

Have you checked the plugs? Sorry just breezed through the thread but if you were burning that much oil...plugs could be pretty gunked up. And with that low of compression and some stripped bolts on the valve cover...I'd wonder if someone was in there before troubleshooting maybe bad valve stem seals which could leak a bunch of oil into the cylinder and if valves themselves aren't seating correctly cause low compression readings?

Thanks, yeah. Previous made such a mess of things.
I'm no longer burning oil.. so that's great news.
The plugs are brand new and overtime I've pulled them they were sparkling clean.
The car runs great now. It just stumbles, a bit like a knock. I'm posting a video shortly

I see you've fixed your smoke issue which is great.

Stumbling: i see your PAIR system has been removed/deleted. The PAIR system runs off of vaccuum pressure and backpressure of the motor. maybe the old blocked off lines recently became open and is causing a vaccum leak. Have you checked your air filter? your old PAIR air port on the filter assembly could have let in some debris. I see its currently blocked off with tape.

Thanks, yes, the filter plastic box that came after I removed, since the device that comes after that didn't come with the truck... so it was just sucking outside dirty air into the intake. Its completely sealed where you see the duct tape. Air filter is brand new.
Could there be an issue there?

I'm also going over all my grounds. Where do they injectors get their ground from?
The wiring harness that goes past the EGR pipe.

Toyota switches the GROUND side of the circuit, not the hot side like most USA stuff.

Ok thank you.

I cleaned the O2 sensor connections plus grounds and rewired the 4 sensors close to the oil filter / knock sensor etc.
I just drove the car for 30 min or so and it drives completely fine.

At idle or low speed, it will idle perfect for 4 sec. or so and then get a hick up where the revs drop. Just that quick hesitation/stumble.
I'd like to drive this 80 to Las Vegas from in a couple of weeks, so i'm just trying to get it as reliable as possible.

Would it be wise to pull the injectors? or is there another area I should look at?
Thanks again.

As a side note, fix the exhaust leak you found at the manifold. Air can be pulled in there and give a false lean reading at the O2 sensor.

Ok thank you.

I cleaned the O2 sensor connections plus grounds and rewired the 4 sensors close to the oil filter / knock sensor etc.
I just drove the car for 30 min or so and it drives completely fine.

At idle or low speed, it will idle perfect for 4 sec. or so and then get a hick up where the revs drop. Just that quick hesitation/stumble.
I'd like to drive this 80 to Las Vegas from in a couple of weeks, so i'm just trying to get it as reliable as possible.

Would it be wise to pull the injectors? or is there another area I should look at?
Thanks again.

Original fuel pump?

Might check your fuel pressure (running) see if you are getting fluctuation.

Good points, thanks.
original fuel pump I assume. I can pull it out and see what state its in as well as the pre-filter.
The pressure regulator sits close to the first cylinder and the distributor right on the fuel rail?
My FJ62 also has a fuel pressure pulsator dampener. Do the 80's have these?

Last edited:
Are we talking massive stumble at idle or just the occasional shake?

Is it "running OK" and driveable now?

While the engine is idling, remove your oil cap on the valve cover. Does it MASSIVELY stumble and /or die? If so, that's good because it means you have few vacuum leaks. If it runs no different, then you have massive vacuum leaks and the computer has started compensating for all that.
Thats interesting. Did not know that.

Hey guys,
Here is where I'm at right now. Its driving fine outside of the hick up occasionally.

This is what it sounds like in idle.

The wine is something I can't figure out, it goes up in pitch with higher RPM also when not driving.
Looking forward to your thoughts.
Thanks

Check your idler pulleys!
Check your alternator bearings

Also, is your AC compressor overcharged?

The AC compressor doesn't have any charge actually. I'm not too worried about the whine right now. The heater/blower / AC doesn't work right now, project for another time.

Its mostly the stumble at very low speed and idle, like you hear in the video that I'm trying to fix. I've come a long way from the clouds of blue smoke.

I just drove it for a bit after cleaning more ground points. The car is very responsive, no hesitation and hauls ass... But have the stumble at idle and throughs code 52 and 55 pretty much straight away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom