Blue fan clutch mod...Thread has gone to hell, read at your own risk (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrowndog
They say to completely fill the fan as I was told by Stewart's 4Wd approximately a year ago when I posted my pictures of the repair to the 2H fan.This seems to be advised by Toyota techs in the attached "outer limits" link also.Hope this is of some help. .

The problem with that is that the valve no longer functions, the clutch is full on all of the time, been there, done that. If you open a new clutch it's no were near full, just the amount required to fill the reservoir.
My 2H fan is different to yours but it takes 10,000cst.The 2H runs a T3 turbo with boost peaking app 12 lbs which I have no problems with now.Re the 2H ,12 lb is a high boost without an intercooler the indirect injection 2H melts pistons and heads at 14 lb without an intercooler.

bigbrowndog said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrowndog
They say to completely fill the fan as I was told by Stewart's 4Wd approximately a year ago when I posted my pictures of the repair to the 2H fan.This seems to be advised by Toyota techs in the attached "outer limits" link also.Hope this is of some help. .

The problem with that is that the valve no longer functions, the clutch is full on all of the time, been there, done that. If you open a new clutch it's no were near full, just the amount required to fill the reservoir.
My 2H fan is different to yours but it takes 10,000cst.The 2H runs a T3 turbo with boost peaking app 12 lbs which I have no problems with now.Re the 2H ,12 lb is a high boost without an intercooler the indirect injection 2H melts pistons and heads at 14 lb without an intercooler.

Very true, with an Intercooler it probably needs to be on full time, good example of ours being very different from yours.:cheers:

some of our fans
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/FAN-CLUTCH-S...3QQihZ009QQcategoryZ10428QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/LANDCRUISER-...7QQihZ003QQcategoryZ10428QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Landcruiser-...1QQihZ002QQcategoryZ10428QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://search.ebay.com.au/search/se...ga10244=10425&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=
This is the fan clutch on my 80 series 3F engine.Pics.
Picswithkirk5-5-06364.jpg

Picswithkirk5-5-06362.jpg

When I rang toyota this morning I asked what grade of silicone oil for a 1fzfe fan then asked which oil do the others use etc etc.
rainforrest787.jpg

rainforrest781.jpg

Pics of my 2H fan.

Tools R Us said:
Very true, with an Intercooler it probably needs to be on full time, good example of ours being very different from yours.:cheers:
Its not on full time, this is a bad idea when you drive through creeks etc.With the intercooler the diesel runs a lot cooler , lower egts. Mine is not running an intercooler yet.
added, If you guys are experiencing similar temperatures in summer perhaps you need one with cst10,000 for summer and one with 3,000 for winter? Seems all of oz is running 10,000 even down south where they have temperate temperatures like you.

Last edited:
bigbrowndog said:
Its not on full time, this is a bad idea when you drive through creeks etc.With the intercooler the diesel runs a lot cooler , lower egts. Mine is not running an intercooler yet.
added, If you guys are experiencing similar temperatures in summer perhaps you need one with cst10,000 for summer and one with 3,000 for winter? Seems all of oz is running 10,000 even down south where they have temperate temperatures like you.

Yep, it was a nice "temperate" 116F, 46C here today!:eek:

Tools R Us said:
Yep, it was a nice "temperate" 116F, 46C here today!:eek:
when its 46C here we usually have 90.to95 +% humidity. In the south it reaches these temperatures at times but its a dry heat with low humidity.ie temperate as against tropical.I was not suggesting it was not hot, thats why I do not understand the 3,ooocst oil.:cheers:

bigbrowndog said:
... thats why I do not understand the 3,ooocst oil.:cheers:

100% agree. Probably related to EPA fuel efficiency ratings or some other US, BS.:D

This just in.........

OZCAL was kind enough to do a bit of leg-work for me and we have determined that the 1FZ fan clutch fo the OZ market is THE SAME 16210-66020 AS WE HAVE HERE.

So, if out friends down under are filling them with 10,000 maybe we should too.

cruiserdan said:
So, if out friends down under are filling them with 10,000 maybe we should too.

I'd still like to see how the clutch works before a jump in viscosity. That way we get an idea of how well the timing and fill works and then how much the higher viscosity improves on that.

All the work is in the timing of the plate, to add oil later is just simply a drain and fill.

Everyone seems to be having varied success with these blue clutches, I probably had the worst of it. It would be nice to come up with a way to baseline these things so down the road you could identify a clutch issue easily.

I can't help but think that people have replaced radiators that didn't need to be replaced. But because the new one was slightly more effective they got a positive response from it and it could have just as easily been a weak clutch.

Somehow I think all this will fall into the same ambiguous realm as Caster Correction and any valuable data will be lost in a sea of opinions.

New data! There are at least two blue hubs. It's easy to tell them apart from the outside, the one I have (thinking it's an older style, installed by Lexus on my truck) has cooling fins all of the way around it and a cast thermostat holder. The newer one has a stamped steel thermostat holder and two gaps in the fins.
blue_old.jpg
blue_new.jpg

The reservoirs are slightly different, on the old one (first pic) the valve plate is on cast in legs and the reservoir goes all of the way to the edge. On the new one the valve sits flush on the machined surface and the reservoir is oblong.
blue_old_r.jpg
blue_new_r.jpg

C-Dan has said the blue hub is three speed, I have always said they are variable, looks like we are both right! Mine is three speed, first the hole in the shearing ridges opens, then the tip of the boot shaped hole, then the whole boot hole is uncovered.
blue_valve.jpg

Nice, this is getting deeper all the time. I can't really tell from the pic but it almost looks like your 3 speed clutch would come in faster and stronger in that third position do to the shape of the Boot.

What the hell is Toyota doing over there?

I have 5 in stock at the moment and they all look like the "new one" in the lower photo. I do not recall ever looking at them that close before. I will look at the one on my truck (which is a couple years old)and see what the face looks like.

My 2-year-old blue hub looks like the bottom clutch. My original black hub looks like the top clutch.

Shoot, I'm ready to do some PM on the 80. I'm all set to call CDan for parts, and you guys are CONFUSING me on which clutch fan to get.

the more I look at the 2 clutches the more I'm thinking that the newer style clutch might pass more oil when it's on.

Look at the larger relief around the secondary holes (boot and diagonal rectangle) of the two.

As the clutch spins that relief fills with oil and when it is aligned with the holes on the opposing side the oil passes through in preparation to be sheared around the outer edge where the real power is transferred. At higher rpms the time for that to happen will be less than at idle and the larger relief might increase the % of drive during those times and possibly throughout the clutches operation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom