Builds Ole Blue 60 gets a fresh start- EFI and more (27 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got on the phone with Fastnal. Assuming they don't send it to the wrong stake it will leave Kansas Sunday, arrive in Atlanta Monday leaves ATL Tuesday arrives Madison Wednesday

That would be pimp.

Speaking of pimp, thanks @under_psi for burning in my O2 sensor bung

IMG_1761.JPG

IMG_1760.JPG

Damn that AFI unit is pretty. Going to look fantastic under the hood. What are your plans for the air cleaner for the unit? Did you mention something about a modded FJ62 canister?

Damn that AFI unit is pretty. Going to look fantastic under the hood. What are your plans for the air cleaner for the unit? Did you mention something about a modded FJ62 canister?

I have a modified air cleaner hat that will let me mount the stock cleaner. Also something from @lcwizard

I have a modified air cleaner hat that will let me mount the stock cleaner. Also something from @lcwizard
I had thought about getting one of the "tunnel cone" units (or whatever they are called for the AirRaid cone type filters) and adapting that to a 62 canister if I ever did this.

I had thought about getting one of the "tunnel cone" units (or whatever they are called for the AirRaid cone type filters) and adapting that to a 62 canister if I ever did this.

Since I have time I'm going to try to tackle moving the input from the 60 cleaner to the passenger side for my snorkel.

This guy sent me pics.

IMG_1431.jpg

Awesome about the blockoff plate. LCWizard told me he didn't have any more TBI to air cleaner adapters so I am going to have to figure something out. I've thought about trying the stock chevy cleaner or an aftermarket 'hat' style one. Of course could always try making the hat adapter...

I also read a thread about using the stock charcoal canister from a TBI chevy. It doesn't require an external valve like ours. You keeping the charcoal canister?

That's a good question on the canister.

I've always had a bit of a gas smell after I relocated the evaporator in the passenger side wheelwell after installing the Wagon Gear storage panels.

One suggestion was to swap sides with the charcoal canister hoses. I never noticed much doing that.

Well when I was cleaning up under here I see that both of the vaccume hoses leading into the canister from the drivers side are capped off.

I would think for the canister to work, pull fumes etc I would need vacuum to make it all work.

There are two lines. One is small....goes high on the firewall and directly into the charcoal.

The other is large and it goes from under the booster to the mid firewall then into a valve on top of the canister.

Maybe someone following this can tell me which of these need to be hooked back up to vacuum and to where on the manifold after reinstalling all this.

They offer the DUI as an upgrade.....

I have a DUI unit on my FJ40 and I really like the packaging. Less wires. Seems to work real well on that 2F.

I can sell my coil and recurve dizzy as a package to someone wanting to upgrade and stay Toyota

Last edited:
Nice job cleaning up that's a shinny turd! Makes me wanna polish mine.

Look forward to seeing How it all comes out subscribed!

I looked back at all my front end pics and it seems like the inner grill area can't really be seen once it's all back together

Behind the grill was a hodgepodge of years of overspray and rust treated black spots.

This isn't seen once the grill is reinstalled but it will all go back sealed up and clean.

IMG_1787.JPG

IMG_1788.JPG

I put the TBI on the manifold. Very nice fit and finish.

I knew I liked these AFI guys when the allen head bolts were metric.

IMG_1794.JPG
IMG_1796.JPG
IMG_1797.JPG
IMG_1798.JPG

I polished on my grill and light bezels a bit. They are aftermarket ....I put them on about 3 years ago. They are acceptable at best but I don't want to buy them again
IMG_1805.JPG

IMG_1813-X2.jpg

So I looked this air cleaner over and decided the best way to remove the intake horn on it was to drill out the spot welds.

IMG_1806-X2.jpg

Well, that was a bad plan.

IMG_1811-X2.jpg

I should have just made a clean cut. Much easier to re seal instead of all these dopey holes I drilled.

I'm kind of mad at myself that I cut up this nice air cleaner but once my good friend Lou @under_psi works it over maybe it will at least be functional for my snorkel instead of that silly hose i had across my engine before

That's a good question on the canister.

I've always had a bit of a gas smell after I relocated the evaporator in the passenger side wheelwell after installing the Wagon Gear storage panels.

One suggestion was to swap sides with the charcoal canister hoses. I never noticed much doing that.

Well when I was cleaning up under here I see that both of the vaccume hoses leading into the canister from the drivers side are capped off.

I would think for the canister to work, pull fumes etc I would need vacuum to make it all work.

There are two lines. One is small....goes high on the firewall and directly into the charcoal.

The other is large and it goes from under the booster to the mid firewall then into a valve on top of the canister.

Maybe someone following this can tell me which of these need to be hooked back up to vacuum and to where on the manifold after reinstalling all this.
The vacuum source needs to be a ported vac, like the advance or egr port on the stock Aisan. Normally with a BVSV to keep the VCV closed until the motor is warmed up. Below is my derivation from the Emissions manual.

IMG_7012.JPG

The vacuum source needs to be a ported vac, like the advance or egr port on the stock Aisan. Normally with a BVSV to keep the VCV closed until the motor is warmed up. Below is my derivation from the Emissions manual.

View attachment 1538376

Dammit. I did this EFI and DUI to get rid of the STUDID VCV......

God almighty. Really? Why does a charcoal canister need all that crap?

It's not even been hooked up for 8 years and all I get is light gas fumes when parked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom