Builds Ole Blue 60 gets a fresh start- EFI and more (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Great thread. I plan on doing similar things to my 60. What made you choose AFI over FITech. Just curious. Great job thanks for the photos and detailed info.

Great to see an old cruiser not being Frankensised. How the years fly by on Landcruiser forums :D

Great thread. I plan on doing similar things to my 60. What made you choose AFI over FITech. Just curious. Great job thanks for the photos and detailed info.
FITech is still fairly new to the 2F game from what I have gathered. While I agree that it seems like a great product there might be a bit more modification that is needed to make it fit the 2F where as the AFI system is specifically built with the 2F in mind. That's not to say that the FITech wont be an awesome addition.

Picked up my flywheel

IMG_1628.JPG

The stuff that takes time if you want the engine compartment to start off looking nice is the cleaning. I spent about 2 hours on the bench grinder knocking off grease and paint from years of a leaky motor.

IMG_1623.JPG

I got a bit done. It looks so good clean.

IMG_1627.JPG

Now I study boobs for 3 hours

IMG_1629.JPG

Turd polishing continues

IMG_1641.JPG

This truck still had the rubber cushions on the inspection cover. I peeled them off, got all the grease off them and reinstalled

IMG_1642.JPG

A little aluminum engine paint on the Coolant pipes

IMG_1643.JPG

Thermo housing polished and sealed with some polish.

IMG_1644.JPG

Polished to a clean dull aluminum. Not polished. Hate that. Used a nice wheel paste that adds a little wax type seal so it won't tarnish immediately like they donif you just wire brush.

That thermo housing is thrashed. Need a spare? Might have one in the parts stash.

Might be able to get away with putting JBWeld on the pitting and smoothing it out. That thing looks like it's trying to start a coolant leak :lol:

Valve cover and inspection cover look like new!

That thermo housing is thrashed. Need a spare? Might have one in the parts stash.

Might be able to get away with putting JBWeld on the pitting and smoothing it out. That thing looks like it's trying to start a coolant leak :lol:

Valve cover and inspection cover look like new!

Thanks for the offer. I'm going to smooth it out with some JB Weld. It is fine. Most all of mine have been this way.

This was not fun but it is satisfying in the end.

Parts washer then as much as my bench wire wheel could reach then wheel polish and a tooth brush.

Hand buffed after. Not perfect but nice and clean

IMG_1645.JPG

IMG_1647.JPG

IMG_1648.JPG

My wife is out of town so I was able to sneak off to the shop for an hour or so and continue the polishing-o-de-turd......

IMG_1650-X2.jpg

IMG_1651-X2.jpg

Knocking crap off all the parts going on my pretty motor.....I had so much oil and grime, its crazy.

IMG_1652-X2.jpg

I added liquid steel on the thermo housing and all the pinholes I could find in the tubes. I'll let it dry and polish it all smooth(ish)

I soaked the truck in Simple Green while it rained all day then got out there and brushed off all the built up grease and grime.

Before

IMG_1672.JPG

After....

IMG_1675.JPG

I pressure washed the underside focusing on the passenger side where we will install the fuel pump and filter.

After that I listened to webcasts for work and mindlessly went through every bag of bolts I removed and cleaned them on my wire wheel.

Toyota bolts are so great. For the most part after cleaning they all look perfect.

IMG_1681.JPG

After that I treated all the engine area with rust and the frame with my favorite product.

IMG_1677.JPG

This stuff will do its thing and adhere to the rust and I will come back with some spray paint and seal it up.

IMG_1678.JPG

IMG_1679.JPG

Everything is stacked up in piles and ready to install (when the motor arrives .... bites nails)

IMG_1680.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom