Builds Ole Blue 60 gets a fresh start- EFI and more (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Back home. 2400+ miles down.

11.5 mpg average

Other than the clogged fuel filters and me pulling the charcoal system out, the truck performed flawlessly.

I traveled with a 97 LX450 with 35’s and a HJ60 with 33s and my AFI 2F performed on par with both in power on the hills and highway.

I’m impresssd. The Specter Off Road fat seat cushion made it comfortable as any truck I own.

The AFI is a game changer. Truly amazing how this truck went from a local play truck to a long distance Overland vehicle.

The Iron Man Pro shocks were clutch as well. Superb performance in the rough.

Great trip. Great truck.

That’s a really great way to describe it, “a local play truck”. That’s exactly how I feel about mine being carbed. Can’t wait to do fuel injection.

Nice. I gotta drive mine, I think that's more miles then I've put on mine in the past two years combined.

Yes. Agree. I have a 2019 TRD Pro and 2 100 series that would have shaved a few hours off going to and from but I really wanted to experience a long Trip in the 60.

I’d turn around and do it again tomorrow.

B28CA6D8-FD80-44D9-B68B-309A0BD4DECD.jpeg

Yes. Agree. I have a 2019 TRD Pro and 2 100 series that would have shaved a few hours off going to and from but I really wanted to experience a long Trip in the 60.

View attachment 1909770
Looks like a great trip! What SOR cushion is that? I'd love something more comfortable. I'm 27 but a long drive makes my back feel like I'm 60 lol.

Specter sells new pads. They are super thick and you will feel like you are sitting on a phone book for a few weeks but you will LOVE it. They will fit in the stock covers.

View attachment 1909770

I can do 500 miles in my 60 and come out feeling better than if I had made the same drive in the 80.

I can do 500 miles in my 60 and come out feeling better than if I had made the same drive in the 80.

Your trip to Texas and by here was a major motivator for me to get off my ass and take this truck on a real trip.

Thank you snake doctor

891616B8-DC2E-4D3E-B75E-A88F272C9177.jpeg

Your trip to Texas and by here was a major motivator for me to get off my ass and take this truck on a real trip.

Thank you snake doctor

View attachment 1910416

Glad to have helped :lol:. Knocked out a 1000+ mile trip last week bouncing between S AL and the Asheville, NC area. My 60 fits me like an old pair of comfortable pants.

Question for the experts.

Making a trip like this and hunting down non-ethanol fuel stations is out the window.

I stopped and gassed up wherever I could and it looks like I got a load of trash during one of the fill ups.

On the first trail after a good bit of bouncing around (1100 miles into the trip) Ole Blue started bucking and starving for fuel.

I suspected I killed another pump and climbed under the truck and found that both the Pre filter to pump and the post filter under the hood were brown and clogged.

What’s really odd is how the inner paper twisted like this.

Have y’all ever seen this?

40832250-5B87-4473-9BA0-82F760AF1256.jpeg

06EA934D-6B0D-4FEA-987B-C4BCA4C96553.jpeg

Looks like the filter collapsed under vacuum from being clogged. If the EFI pump is upsream from this, feeding this filter, then it collapsed under pressure, but I'd bet your EFI pump is fed by this filter.

Part 2 of the issue I had.

So, I stopped a bit later and crawled under the truck to check the new filters.

Clean.

But I heard bubbling in the tank. Fuel was not hot at all but I could see air bubbles going backwards from the pump (engine was off) into the tank via the feed line.

I checked the gas cap and there was a ton of pressure and gas actually shot out of the truck.

I started the truck with cap on and drove a bit. No running issues but the pressure built right back up.

I pulled my Delco charcoal filter and it was very heavy as if it had gotten a dump of fuel at some point.

At this point I capped the vacuum and removed the charcoal canister as well as the gas cap itself. I stuffed a blue rag in the filler and the truck performed flawlessly for over 300 miles off road and 1100 miles home.

So. Looks like somehow I’ve got a charcoal/vent issue to deal with.

I had to move that rear fender mounted evaporator when I installed the Wagon Gear side panels. Possible that that thing got oriented wrong bouncing on the trail and filled up with gas.

I’ve got to investigate that too.

Looks like the filter collapsed under vacuum from being clogged. If the EFI pump is upsream from this, feeding this filter, then it collapsed under pressure, but I'd bet your EFI pump is fed by this filter.

Yes

x2. You want a filter intended for EFI.
As for your EVAP issue I bet you just have some of the hoses hooked up wrong. Right now mine won’t let me fill it past 1/2 tank unless I reach under and pull a hose off.

x2. You want a filter intended for EFI.
As for your EVAP issue I bet you just have some of the hoses hooked up wrong. Right now mine won’t let me fill it past 1/2 tank unless I reach under and pull a hose off.

The AFI EFI is low pressure so wouldn’t it be fine with any filter?

I’ve certainly got no problems adding a high pressure rated just trying to learn here.

The way my charcoal setup has been has been like this for thousands of miles and I have checked it in the past because it’s always smelled like gas since I moved it 10 years ago.

I ordered a new charcoal canister and I’ll make sure to blow it all out good before I reinstall the filter.

How many PSI is "low pressure"?

Remember that the filter in question operates under slight vacuum in the OEM application, not under any pressure at all.

I have run the glass/chrome cheap fuel filters with the replaceable/cleanable element for 25 years. I think they are kind of hack now but 25 years ago it was the only thing I could find at the western auto store to put between my fuel tank and efi frame mounted pump. The filter after the pump should metal bodied in my mind. I have used these from Holley, but my favorite way to do it is take the factory fuel lines from Chevrolet with a tbi and just use the factory style filter inline. They are not as common at pick and pull these days but I almost guarantee there is still a set of fuel lines with filter at every pick in pull in the county. The tbi and computer get taken first. Holley EFI 562-1 Fuel Filter

I would run a metal filter from a mid 80’s tbi truck. Something that matches the barb size.

No element to collapse on those.

I’ve got some Wix that @FJ60Cam gave me for my high pressure Holley Sniper. It’s metal. I’d like to get a universal filter setup going between the two trucks. I’ll check the part number on it tomorrow.

I like clear filters so I know what’s happening but if that’s not the way to go I’ll replace em.

Thanks for the info.

Clear for the gravity feed from tank to pump is fine. It’s fun to watch the rust flakes move around. It is like a red neck aquarium on your frame rail.
You should 100% make everything the same. Makes it easy to carry spares in your tool bag. I have 11 trucks with TBI or TPI, stock or conversions in my heard. I carry an e2000 pump, map sensor, ac Delco ignition modules in 7pin large cap and small cap in my tool bag. That will get any of them running. Those are about the only things that will keep one from running. O2, tps, Iac will not keep one from running.

Yeah that pre filter was the one that twisted up.

That said, I had 2000 or so miles on this setup before the trip with no issues.

I’ve been using the same filter on all of my Cruisers. It’s the OEM FJ60 filter that goes in the engine bay.

Pre and post pump. One on the frame before the low pressure Walbro. One in the stock location. AFI only calls for a pre-filter. The one they sent was a Chinese piece of crap metal filter.

I could not monitor the “redneck aquarium” with that filter (superb description) , so I ditched it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom