Builds Ole Blue 60 gets a fresh start- EFI and more (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks - I later searched eBay and found that you can get a nice emblem from an '84-89 Toyota pickup - was attached to the B pillar.

I just got back from the mountains.

I love the setup with the hard shell RTT.

The O2 code reared it’s ugly head again.

I spent the weekend and most of the way home dealing with the O2 sensor throwing a code and putting me in limp mode.

I changed out the O2 sensor yet again and it still happened. When the truck was cold it would go about an hour without a problem and then it would go into limp mode. We ended up deciding I had a bad computer after tossing O2 sensors and a MAP sensor at it.

I met a friend with an AFI computer in the way home. Swapped it with mine and it did not fix the problem

I decided to try one more O2 sensor and it worked. I’m not sure what the hell would kill 2 O2 sensors though.

Any thoughts?

651B6D50-4D34-4D77-B1AF-44954FD2852A.jpeg
82514856-EBB8-4864-9977-A430A13522D5.jpeg
4724AF0B-2BC3-4011-80D9-9C60DEAA29D7.jpeg
E249BFF2-EB33-41D1-B4D1-BF32488D538A.jpeg

Once I sorted it out it ran like a beast. Sad I didn’t try that 3rd O2 sensor earlier though. The trip home took 2-3 hours longer with all the issues.

DCE284DC-1646-48C1-AF11-7348C2FA6F08.jpeg

I spent the weekend and most of the way home dealing with the O2 sensor throwing a code and putting me in limp mode.

I changed out the O2 sensor yet again and it still happened. When the truck was cold it would go about an hour without a problem and then it would go into limp mode. We ended up deciding I had a bad computer after tossing O2 sensors and a MAP sensor at it.

I met a friend with an AFI computer in the way home. Swapped it with mine and it did not fix the problem

I decided to try one more O2 sensor and it worked. I’m not sure what the hell would kill 2 O2 sensors though.

Any thoughts?

You're running heated O2 sensors? Where exactly did you mount it? Some sensors can be finicky depending on if you're running a header or not and what their application originally was. I've read in the past that guys doing swaps and switching to headers had to try different brand O2 sensors to find one that didn't fail. I recall some of the Chevy guys had to switch from Bosch to AC delco (or maybe it was the other way) to stop from blowing them.

Another thought would be your heated O2 wiring. Does it go through the AFI harness into the computer or does the heating (and ground) wire go directly to a switched power source? If it does go to the computer maybe try switching it directly to a switched power source and grounding outside of the AFI harness.

I just got back from the mountains.

I love the setup with the hard shell RTT.

Any thoughts?

View attachment 1646740 View attachment 1646743 View attachment 1646744 View attachment 1646745

Once I sorted it out it ran like a beast. Sad I didn’t try that 3rd O2 sensor earlier though. The trip home took 2-3 hours longer with all the issues.

View attachment 1646746

Speedbox ap?

You're running heated O2 sensors? Where exactly did you mount it? Some sensors can be finicky depending on if you're running a header or not and what their application originally was. I've read in the past that guys doing swaps and switching to headers had to try different brand O2 sensors to find one that didn't fail. I recall some of the Chevy guys had to switch from Bosch to AC delco (or maybe it was the other way) to stop from blowing them.

Another thought would be your heated O2 wiring. Does it go through the AFI harness into the computer or does the heating (and ground) wire go directly to a switched power source? If it does go to the computer maybe try switching it directly to a switched power source and grounding outside of the AFI harness.

I killed one of each and have a Bosch in there now.

I read that rich exhaust or bad gas could be the culprit.

I had 3000 miles on the system with no issues.

Then I swapped from a Delco to a Bosch and the problems began sometime after that.

Power is coming from the computer.

Are you planning to switch back to a Delco sensor? What part number (or for what vehicle) are you buying the sensor?

I sent my story to AFI. I’ll see what Norm says.

Bosch 13077 is the O2 part number.

If he’s had bad luck with it I’ll pull it. Seem like he went to Bosch on his new system from the pictures though.

Random thought:

If you think your sensor is getting roasted (too hot), you could install a spark plug anti-fouler device in the header, and then install the oxygen sensor into that. My brother did this on his Lexus LX-470 on the secondary oxygen sensor (post-cat) and this cured it of the dreaded P0420 code. This may not be ideal for a primary sensor, but you could grind off part of the anti-fouler (in various stages) to see what effect it might have - so you'd be tuning the anti-fouler to somewhat-protect your primary sensor.

More on the concept here: How To: Install An O2 Sensor Non Fouler to Eliminate a Check Engine Light with Pics - Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum

Random thought:

If you think your sensor is getting roasted (too hot), you could install a spark plug anti-fouler device in the header, and then install the oxygen sensor into that. My brother did this on his Lexus LX-470 on the secondary oxygen sensor (post-cat) and this cured it of the dreaded P0420 code. This may not be ideal for a primary sensor, but you could grind off part of the anti-fouler (in various stages) to see what effect it might have - so you'd be tuning the anti-fouler to somewhat-protect your primary sensor.

More on the concept here: How To: Install An O2 Sensor Non Fouler to Eliminate a Check Engine Light with Pics - Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum

As I, like others are watching this thread closely, I am sure we would be interested in seeing if this works.
My #1 concern with fuel injection is that Limp mode. I had it happen in my LR3 and I will never have it again, if this fixes it then that may be a win.

We have not settled on anything.

Mind you, this truck has gone 3500 uneventful miles until I started monkeying with stuff a couple weeks ago.

I replaced the ground cables. Wrong at first. That was the first time this happened.

The O2 grounds through the threads and by removing the ground to the motor I was getting bad ground and it was doing this.

I fixed the ground and it went away but I never drove it more than an hour where it might act up.

I changed O2 to Bosch because someone on the internets said they got better mileage with Bosch over Delco.

My truck gets about 2 mpg worse with AFI and new motor than it did with a carb and a 2F with 5.1 cylinders so I tried it.

I was about 200 miles from home when the issue started this weekend and it never went away until the truck went full cold overnight. The next days it ran perfect for about 1 hour then issues began again.

Norm at AFI says my symptoms Sounded like fuel starvation more than O2. He said it was technically not limp home if the O2 does not work.

“What code were you getting?, just because you get a code depending on what code it is does not mean that you have a bad O2 sensor. Also when an O2 sensor goes bad it does not go into limp mode, it simply does not use the O2 sensor and runs in open loop just like it does on start up; there should be no drive differences with a bad O2 sensor. If you have issues when it triggers the O2, the issues is not the O2 usually but the O2 code is the symptom of the issue.

What you describe to me sounds like a fueling issue caused by a pump that has been run dry, a sock in the tank that is contaminating, a plugged filter, a fuel pump not located properly or getting hot or a defective fuel pump.”

So. In the end a 3rd Bosch o2 sensor and I’m running like a champ.

100 miles home yesterday and tonight I drove my son to Scouts and never shut it off for 2 hours. No issues.

I’m clueless. I would think that I have it fixed with the new O2 but him saying that a bad O2 would not cause this type issue makes me pause.

Well. I guess I just drive it and see.

Too much talk. Not enough pictures.

320F5E98-0BCC-47C6-AEF2-AFBCFFC45B46.jpeg

71E4B6F8-56D2-49A7-8260-012EB71B94E4.jpeg

949760F4-85DC-4512-BF28-CC74E59E5E41.jpeg

6DA2F9A0-6F17-4DBC-BE79-202FD0E81232.jpeg

I found a guy through @Papalud that has some surplus Kaymar stuff. I bought a LH Land Rover Disco fuel tank swingout from him. We measured from a distance but it looked close enough.

Got it today and got it installed. I was only able to get 2 bolts in the bump mount but it’s solid. The top 2 holes were right in the crease.

Glad to be able to pack a few gallons of non ethanol

F9454742-7401-4C96-B6BC-B0583ED56886.jpeg

A1104241-7440-48E5-A3EA-E97CC12BD36C.jpeg

B764C132-91BC-4EBA-9BD6-DBF1AAAAD13A.jpeg

031DC3C1-BA7C-4535-BF5E-7254C5DBE124.jpeg

2B36A340-7BDC-45ED-9CF4-F2137FDDA579.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom