Builds Ole Blue 60 gets a fresh start- EFI and more (41 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

5FF03431-5687-4D5E-B6C2-8DA823B154E1.jpeg

I learned an important lesson in the importance of huge ass ground wires today.

I got some new terminals and wires for the 60 from @Fourrunner

Hooked all up and realized I only had a ground to the block and not one to the chassis from the battery.

When I added the chassis ground (small Gauge. Maybe 4)... I bypassed the tie in with the huge ground wire to the motor.

Truck ran like ass all the way to town and back.

Anything over idle or 1/4 throttle it was cutting out. It threw a code which I checked when I got home.

44......,O2 code.

Looked at the only thing that was different from morning when it was running perfect and the afternoon not.

Realized I left the ground to motor off. All the truck was running off of was the small chassis ground I had added.

Fixed it now. Beef all around and it Runs perfect again.

Moral.

Ground wires are big for a reason.

BB4FD23E-9803-4091-A3C1-9F9401922237.jpeg

it doesn't take a lot of resistance to cockblock 12 volts... the #4 should have been enough, BUT, with years of corrosion built up inside the jacket, and the oxidation of the bolt threads and the paint where the lugs land, you were swimming uphill...

Just picked up Blue from the muffler shop. Had a generic cat welded in.

Driving, I can’t tell it’s on there.

The flow master 40 still has a great rumble at idle.

And no fumes. Remarkable.

566AC40D-40DB-4FC3-8E54-48DE465143C0.jpeg

Man I’m sorry. I didn’t ask.
No worries Nolan, just curious as it does not seem to have the stock sensor housing on it. I am assuming it is just a normal "universal" one since you have your o2 sensors elsewhere for the AFI unit. Kinda looks like an Eastern CAT universal one.

Since I am currently desmogged (mostly) I was wondering how much of a role the stock o2 sensor plays in the whole system. E.G. if I was to upgrade my exhaust to the 2.5" like I am planning and use a universal cat that omits the stock o2 sensor, what would happen. Think only guys like @OSS, @CaptClose @FJ40Jim can answer that stuff, maybe @orangefj45.

I wouldn’t even run a cat if I didn’t need to. At least with the OEM cat in, it really chokes the power out of the upper RPM band. But you’ve got it, might as well run with it. Desmogged, you don’t need the o2 sensor. Mine is currently zip tied to the bottom of my truck.

I don’t know if my nose is more sensitive than it was 15 years ago, or cars in general are just cleaner, but I can’t stand to drive behind someone without a cat - trail or street. Smells like sheeit!

I ran one w/o the cat for a few years, but got tired of my clothes smelling like exhaust. That was with the carb & AFI - you just can’t get a clean exhaust without a cat.

I don’t know if my nose is more sensitive than it was 15 years ago, or cars in general are just cleaner, but I can’t stand to drive behind someone without a cat - trail or street. Smells like sheeit!

I ran one w/o the cat for a few years, but got tired of my clothes smelling like exhaust. That was with the carb & AFI - you just can’t get a clean exhaust without a cat.

This is true... running without a cat is going to really give you that old farm truck smell. I love it. Most hate it. If there was essence du exhaust cologne, I’d be first in line to buy it! Haha.

This is true... running without a cat is going to really give you that old farm truck smell. I love it. Most hate it. If there was essence du exhaust cologne, I’d be first in line to buy it! Haha.

Haha!

What O2 sensor are we talking about? And what does it have to do with a cat?

And yeah, there's no reason not to have a cat nowadays. The free flow cats from jegs are so cheap, and serve as a resonator/muffler. My DD shop truck has no muffler, just a cat.

@FJ40Jim , I think they are talking about the stock temperature sensor. The one I zip tied out of the way when using a universal cat. It’s only for the smog-nazi states lol

Got the AutoHome Columbus installed on the FrontRunner rack. Taking it on it’s first trip on the FJ60 this weekend

654C2FAB-25F0-449E-97C6-FC88A8E4AF3F.jpeg

F6914FB0-8DB1-4650-87DA-C83350DCD608.jpeg

Where did you get the EFI placard stuck to the rear bumper, as shown in the photo in reply #487? Thanks - Steve

Where did you get the EFI placard stuck to the rear bumper, as shown in the photo in reply #487? Thanks - Steve

I was ordering some overpriced stuff on Specter and found it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom