Blown Sparkplug? Valve Cover Gasket Issue? Disaster? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
On my way home and suddenly a strange tapping sound, then louder ever light on dash pops on, Flashing CEL. Then lights on dash go off, tapping continues. I pull off to a parking lot and find that one of the spark plugs is appearing to leak gas or exhaust or something. There was a small couple droplets of what looked like motor oil. The truck has a very bad valve cover gasket, but I have been riding it out with everything going on.

I drove it home skipping but driveable. Any ideas? I am planning on popping off the coil this morning, but I have limited tools here.

On another note, this is the truck that got hit in the back corner and I may have the option to have it totaled.

Snug the plug up. If your tool kit is complete, you have what you need to do that in the stock tool roll

Ok this is bad, the threads are melted, the spark plug is destroyed. The coil is destroyed...

2C8325E8-3BDF-42EB-9534-5AF046AC8F47.jpeg

401B56C1-A5AB-4910-B1CA-ED2920E20CA6.jpeg

If you didn't drive it home you probably could of prevented that. Even if the threads were stripped they could of put a helicoil in it or something. Maybe still possible but idk

I had the same thing happen to me when using a Chinese coil. Find a shop that is used to putting heli coils in Ford engines or RVs and you will be fine. I have 100k miles and have changed out plugs since then as well and zero issues.

DM me if I can help anymore.

What in the hell? Do you have a borescope? What does the cylinder look like?

Holy crap, must of gone a bunch of miles. I had a spark plug back out, at first it sounded kind like a duck quacking but got louder and worse sounding. Stopped in a few miles as something getting louder quickly is not good. Coil pack had a crack, so replaced it and the plug (carry spares) and checked the rest of the plugs.

FSM says torque spark plugs to 13ft lbs, that's way to weak for my taste, i torque mine to at least 20ft lbs. No antiseize, that makes it worse.

Scope cylinder, likely some scoring with the heat and material from that plug and coil in there. On the intake it would have pulled debris into the cylinder. If its clean: tap and install a helicoil, compression test the cylinder. Spray in a good amount of fogging oil and manually crank it over and recheck it with a scope, then start it up. That would be my order.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom