blown HG cleaning out heater core and radiator (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This may be hard to believe but, I have a blown HG. :rolleyes:

The motor is out of the vehicle for a rebuild. My heater core and radiator are full of oil. What is the best way to clean them out? TIA

Did the engine over heat and then blow? In other words, how do you know that the radiator is not clogged up and the main problem?

Yes, how do you know that the HG is blown? There are other ways of getting oil into the cooling system; such as a leak at the oil cooler on the side of the block.
Since the engine is out for a rebuild the HG discussion is moot, but for others who find oil in the coolant, you cannot automatically assume a blown HG unless there are other symptoms as well.
To flush the radiator and heater core while they are removed, is similar to flushing with engine in place. Plug the outlets, fill with muriatic acid solution/commercial radiator flush and hot water. Let sit for awhile. Rinse. Repeat.

Yes, how do you know that the HG is blown? There are other ways of getting oil into the cooling system; such as a leak at the oil cooler on the side of the block.
Since the engine is out for a rebuild the HG discussion is moot, but for others who find oil in the coolant, you cannot automatically assume a blown HG unless there are other symptoms as well.
To flush the radiator and heater core while they are removed, is similar to flushing with engine in place. Plug the outlets, fill with muriatic acid solution/commercial radiator flush and hot water. Let sit for awhile. Rinse. Repeat.

Don't do this if your radiator is aluminum. You won't have a radiator left if you do.

Since the engine is out, I'd take the radiator out to a shop and let them go through it. It's not a big deal to remove the top tank, rod it out, then replace the tank with a new one. If the rad hasn't been touched since new, it's probably due for this service anyway.

You can use the acid on the heater core, but why? Is it plugged? (was the heater working fine before you removed the engine). If it's not plugged, just hook up a garden hose to one end, and flush away. That will remove pretty much everything from the core. Then, to get rid of the oily residue, pour in a solution of detergent and water (or pure simple green works great as a degreaser), let it sit overnight and then flush again. Rinse/repeat, and you've got a nice clean heater core.

I'd just get a new radiator. 15+ years is a good length of service.

This bears repeating...

Did the engine over heat and then blow? In other words, how do you know that the radiator is not clogged up and the main problem?

I bought the truck as is. The PO said it was blown? I'll tell ya this, when I tore down the motor it had anti freeze in it. Stained the crank in fact.

"or pure simple green works great as a degreaser), let it sit overnight and then flush again. Rinse/repeat, and you've got a nice clean heater core."

And it will smell GREAT! :D

Id go new rad.too,cheap insurance with summer coming on. Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom