Blown headgasket, bent engine mount, missing top 2 bolts on bell housing, rear main seal leaking (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Clamped it, 5 hits and it came out. Will try the other 5 tomorrow, finished cleaning all the piston grooves.
The bolts will arrive maybe Friday and hopefully, it'll be easy fitting them in.
The Hastings piston rings arrived today. Got the Clevite bearings yesterday.

image0 (1) - Copy.jpeg

Was able to get all the connecting rod bolts out but 1 was a PITA.
Had to apply heat and hit the bolt with more force and was able to get it out the next day.
Maybe should have just reused them and gone through the 4 torquing sessions as coax had indicated previously.
Involved more time and money, nevertheless it was a learning experience.
The unthreaded portion of the bolt was .4035 in. while the rod hole is .4010 in.
I froze the bolt but the diameter never changed.
The reinstall was more difficult since the piston is still connected to the rod.
You can't get a direct inline punch hit on the head of the bolt as the punch is tilted because the upper portion is touching the piston.
Eventually the bolt didn't want to budge anymore so had to go to HF and get a press.
Had to use my hitch bar and leverage off that. Placed it on the head of the bolt while the other end sits on a piece of metal same height as the bolt head.
The press forced down on the hitch as it pressed on the head of the bolt.
I heated the rod for about 60 seconds with mapp gas. Didn't know how long I should heat it.
Did see the outer part of the rod turn a little bluish.
Looks like there is a new connecting rod bolt. The head doesn't have the bevels of the original one.
4 more rods to go.
The main cap bolts are on back order till 8/24.
I'll post some pics of the hastings chrome rings later.

1 - Copy.jpeg

2 - Copy.jpeg

3 - Copy.jpeg

4 - Copy.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom