Blown head gasket??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Fj80oregon

GOLD Star
Threads
So picked up a truck with a blown head. Coolant is visible in the oil and radiator level is not visible from cap. I Won’t be able to start ripping apart for a couple weeks. Question is should I drain oil or leave it sealed up until I can pull the motor? Don’t want the cylinders to rust by introducing oxygen Or is my thinking incorrect? Picture is hard to see buts it’s chocolate milk for sure!! 😢

750D2EAF-08FD-485A-A6EE-73BDDD19E84D.jpeg

if youre not going to start dismantling for a few weeks and likely not start / drive it during that time then the oil & coolant mixed with it will all settle into the pan apart from a small amount that sticks to components etc.
Personally, Id be draining it so by the time you do get to dismantle will have less of a mess to deal with.

Drain cooling system including the block drain, then drain the contaminated oil and remove the old oil filter, then refill with fresh oil and a new filter. Remove plugs and crank the engine to circulate the fresh oil (pull EFI fuse first). Also spray fogging oil into each cylinder via the spark plug hole. Idea is to remove traces of water/coolant from the system and coat the metal parts, bearings, cylinder walls, etc with oil while it sits.

How long has the engine sat with coolant in the oil?

If it was mine, I would drain that crap out. Fill it with 5 to 6 qts of cheap conventional oil and start it up and let it idle for 30 sec to a min. Just to keep everything coated while it waits for ya to tear her down. Could be overkill... thats what I would do though.

Drain cooling system including the block drain, then drain the contaminated oil and remove the old oil filter, then refill with fresh oil and a new filter. Remove plugs and crank the engine to circulate the fresh oil (pull EFI fuse first). Also spray fogging oil into each cylinder via the spark plug hole. Idea is to remove traces of water/coolant from the system and coat the metal parts, bearings, cylinder walls, etc with oil while it sits.

How long has the engine sat with coolant in the oil?
Supposedly only 3 weeks but who knows! Never heard of fogging oil will google thanks for the advice!!!

if youre not going to start dismantling for a few weeks and likely not start / drive it during that time then the oil & coolant mixed with it will all settle into the pan apart from a small amount that sticks to components etc.
Personally, Id be draining it so by the time you do get to dismantle will have less of a mess to deal with.
Well i am impatient and drained oil/coolant probable had at least 2 quarts of green coolant come out first than milkshake.

Will drain block and radiator. Than fill 6 quarts of 15/40 and fire up for a couple minutes and go on vacation! Thanks for the input boys. 🍻 I have been drinking these all day after scoring this rig.

I agree with draining it and that’s it. Engines have been stored for years (not necessarily with a blown HG) and then started up to continue service. Maybe dump some oil in through the spark plug holes and then rotate it 360 by hand, if that’s feasible, and then plug all the holes. The water will evaporate and the coolant is a corrosion inhibitor like the oil.

I’ve had a rebuilt (19k miles on it) 1fz stored in my garage for 6.5 years. I’ve dumped oil down the spark plug holes and spun it three times in that 6.5 years and it feels the same. I intend to use this engine some day if mine ever quits.

And since you plan to tear it down anyway, what’s to be concerned about.

Last edited:
Or maybe just fog oil and crank with fresh oil and no coolant in system?? Wife’s gonna take me to Napa as I have been on the booze!!!😁

I agree with draining it and that’s it. Engines have been stored for years (not necessarily with a blown HG) and then started up to continue service. Maybe dump some oil in through the spark plug holes and then rotate it 360 by hand, if that’s feasible, and then plug all the holes. The water will evaporate and the coolant is a corrosion inhibitor like the oil.

I’ve had a rebuilt (19k miles on it) 1fz stored in my gaste 6.5 years. I’ve dumped oil down the spark plug holes and spun it three times in that 6.5 years and it feels the same. I intend to use this engine some day if mine ever quits.

And since you plan to tear it down anyway, what’s to be concerned about.
Yah gonna tear the head off but don’t wanna do any lower end work unless I have to. Will see. I tend to go above and beyond so only time will tell.

#6 plug covered in green coolant definitely the culprit!

C0FB50D0-A478-458E-ADFD-6EE069D2D9B9.jpeg

00CD6112-773A-45F2-B773-F229C40782F7.jpeg

Milkshake!! Filled with oil and fog oiled through the spark plug tube holes turned motor by hand and shoved some shop towels down for now. Thanks @Kernal for the fog oil tip.

701D6BA2-958B-4C95-8BAC-4788AC8B37FD.jpeg

3782FD87-B7EC-4E72-8C00-3E7DA8F48C3B.jpeg

Cranking the engine with the starter while the spark plugs are out will help blow out any coolant/water from the cylinders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom