1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blown head gasket

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by atoyot, Feb 9, 2004.

1. atoyot

atoyot

If a 71' F engine repeatedly blows head gaskets what could be the cause? What should I inspect?

2. folsom50

folsom50

Media:
    Poor quality gasket, all the head bolts torque good? Is the head warped? It might need decked, just throwing things at you.

3. atoyot

atoyot

I guess I should have clarified. It's an engine I'm picking up (for free). I don't know if it's warped and I don't know if the gaskets where quality. How do I tell if it's warped? Whats decked? Is taht milled? Should I just have a machine shop look at it?

4. toddslater

toddslater

what folsom said...when you get the motor...pull the head and take it to a machine shop they can check it for warpage and cracks. If either of those are the problem they can tell pretty quick.

5. Rice

Rice SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    All good information above. Also, when installing new gasket be sure the mounting surfaces are absolutely clean. Use an acetone or the like to get all oils off. To help get full clamping force from the head bolts chase the threads in the block and clean and lube the bolts.