Blown head gasket question

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Mr. "C", Aug 8, 2005.

1. Mr. "C"

Mr. "C"

I read through the numerous questions / input regarding the blown head gasket problem with the 1FZ-FE I6 engine, however I did not see any information regarding the number of engines that experienced this that required a major rebuild? The reason I ask is that I am one of the unfortunate 1997 LC owners who's head gasket blew at about 157K miles while returning from Sedona, AZ on I 17 last year. I found a junk yard motor in New Mexico for $1,500 and had my buddy install it, (it was out of a 1997 Lexus LX450) and had only 30K miles. I have my motor sitting in my garage on an engine stand and am wondering if it is now a "boat anchor", or a really heavy paper weight?? I'll be popping the head off probably next week to determine the extent of the damage, I hope it was just the gasket that went. It was still running when I shut it down, but it sounding pretty sick, and was billowing white smoke from the rear of the head.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2005
  2. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

If the oil is white and you were running it for a while like that, it might need new bearings. Not a huge job on the bench. If the rig overheated badly, it might need new rings. If it just leaked externally and you shut it down when the gasket went, it could very well be a few hundred dollar repair. $200 for the gasket set. $100 for a machine shop to pressure test the head and clean up the mating surface.

And another couple of grand to do stuff "while you're in there" and on the bench. :)

3. Mr. "C"

Mr. "C"

Thanks for the information. Yes, I'll probably do "stuff" to this motor such as porting, matching polishing, probably bore it. I've been looking into a supercharger set up but I'm not sold on this idea. I can probably add some HP and torque with other mod's. I'll shoot some photo's and send them to this forum as I proceed, if anyone is interested.

4. beno

beno Gihee Arakawa Moderator Supporting Vendor GOLD Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Yes, interested.

Please proceed with the full support of picture loving 80's folks.

Good luck.
    -onur
    Akron, OH

5. wsdavies

wsdavies

When mine blew it damaged the #3 cylinder...not so bad that I couldn't have run it with a new head gasket, but it would have had oil issues...So I opted to have it rebuilt...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.