Blown head gasket on 3fe (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,
Im new to the forum and landcruisers. I’ve recently purchased a 1991 FJ80 from Oregon and drove it back to Arizona. This was back in March. The truck made it back without a problem. However, recently ive been having issues with the motor running rough. It turns out that Ive blown a head gasket and radiator needs to be replaced. Ive been quoted $3500.00 to repair the radiator and the head gasket. I’m looking for guidance on what I should do with the repairs. Should I bite the bullet and pay for the repaira? Or should i consider saving up for an engine swap as trying to find parts for the 3fe can be difficult. Thanks for the support!
5331A2A3-0C06-4E1F-8068-6E8FE9CB4BF3.jpeg

What's your budget?

An engine swap will be well north of $3500. Especially if you are not planning on doing it yourself.

From your statement "Ive been quoted $3500.00 to repair the radiator and the head gasket." I'm guessing you don't do your own work.

You may be in the $20K range for an engine swap at those rates.

If you've been happy with the power and reliability of the 3F-E to this point, rebuild it and enjoy the lifetime of watching the view from the right lane.

I'd suggest finding a good used one. They usually go for $300-750. 3FE are not highly sought after. I wouldn't bother with rebuilding, especially due to cost difference. Better to put that money into baselining the "new" engine

It's a beauty. If you're not into doing engine tear downs or swaps yourself I'd recommend biting the bullet and paying the dollar amount mentioned to have it fixed. Go ahead though, price a V8 swap just for the heck of it.

I almost mistaken it was a 1FZ-FE.....the Yota badge and blown head gasket comment goes hand in hand with that motor...
I see 15” wheels and thinner flares.

LOL. Yes i did and right back at ya

You have good eyes....I missed your texts...where have you been?
Been busy studying the mighty 3f-e pack mule…..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom