Blown head gasket - 96 Taco 2.7L 3RZFE (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just blew the head gasket on my '96 Tacoma with a 2.7L 3RZFE engine. Anyone local have any experience with this engine? I've never done a head gasket job myself and I'm probably going to try to tackle this one. I'm going to need help with tear down order of all the stuff around it in the engine bay (FSM the best resource for this, or something else?). Should I assume I'll need to take the head to a machine shop for a rebuild, or can I just replace the gasket? Any recommendations for someone in the north part of the valley to do the work if needed (I-17 & Carefree Hwy)? What else do I need to know about the learning curve for this kind of project? If anyone is interested in helping me get this done we can probably work out compensation, but I really want to get the experience of doing this kind of project and we need to git er dun in my garage.

step 1. buy oem toyota shop manual for your vehicle.
step 2. run a straight edge across the head after you take it off ( keep valve train intact)
step 3. if the head isnt straight, remove valve-train and take it to get milled

...at least thats what i did with my supra when i was in high school

edit: i know some good machine shops if you need

Last edited:
step 1. buy oem toyota shop manual for your vehicle.
step 2. run a straight edge across the head after you take it off ( keep valve train intact)
step 3. if the head isnt straight, remove valve-train and take it to get milled

...at least thats what i did with my supra when i was in high school

X2, 90% of the time, it's wise to get the head machined. Check with the shop first, many will just trade your head for a rebuilt one.

also, dont forget to check if the head bolts are torque to yield, if they are, you cannot reuse your old head bolts.

This might be your lucky day. I bought everything to do a head gasket job on a 3rz about a year ago, and found the block to be damaged. I would sell everything at a much lower price if you are interested. I have:

Lc engineering Head gasket set
Arp head studs
Aisin water pump
Toyota fuel filter
Flowmatched injectors
And few other odds and ends.

I use gene's engine service in the north valley off of 25th ave and deer valley.They do good work, are familiar with 2rz/3rz heads, and are reasonably priced.

Thanks! I'll contact you via PM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom