Blown gauge fuse / fj62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ned

Threads
I need some help, I have successfully 3FE swapped my 85 FJ60 but, it runs and drives but I have no gages, or check engine light. I have looked at the fuse box wiring, and I thought I could go down stream look at what might be popping the fuse but it seems the fan relay is not the culprit and I can't seem to pinpoint the heater relay, i pulled what I thought was it but the fuse popped anyway. The fuse is -going as soon as I turn the key. One thing I seem to not have is any hi or low fan. Anyone ever had anything like this happen. I am at a loss right now.

The fan is protected by a circuit breaker - not a fuse. It’s that little can in the fuse panel. Poke a thick paper clip into its center hole to reset it.
If you have some fan speeds but not others, the resistor pack in the air duct near the gas pedal has burned coils. Easy to replace. RockAuto has the resistor block aftermarket. Buy the most expensive of the choices offered

Don’t know why your gauge fuse is burning up but the circuits on the gauge fuse include the dome light and carburetor fan too. Maybe one of them is shorted?

Last edited:
The fan is protected by a circuit breaker - not a fuse. It’s that little can in the fuse panel. Poke a thick paper clip into its center hole to reset it.
If you have some fan speeds but not others, the resistor pack in the air duct near the gas pedal has burned coils. Easy to replace. RockAuto has the resistor block aftermarket. Buy the most expensive of the choices offered

Don’t know why your gauge fuse is burning up but the circuits on the gauge fuse include the dome light and carburetor fan too. Maybe one of them is shorted?
ok I will look into that, before I did the swap I had high only on fan speed now I have nothing. I will look into the dome light and carb fan

I got that wrong.
The carb fan and dome light are on the Dome fuse not the Gauge fuse on a FJ60.

Here’s what a 62 Fuse panel looks like:

C61D4398-3046-48C4-8ECE-B76867DDB741.jpeg

I got that wrong.
The carb fan and dome light are on the Dome fuse not the Gauge fuse on a FJ60.

Here’s what a 62 Fuse panel looks like:

View attachment 2847266
Yeah, I thought so but I was willing to try anyways I unplugged the fan, and the dome wasn't plugged in. Fuse still blew. But I did learn something I did not know there were brakers their and other places. The one under the dash by the relays had tripped but resetting it had no affect and after I cycled the ignition it did not re-trip. So, hey fixed something I didn't know was broke 😁

if you have a fuse blowing immediately you have short. You either have a power or a ground hook up wrong - or a positive wire pinched (highly likely). I would go back over all your work and make sure you didn't pinch something under the dash

if you have a fuse blowing immediately you have short. You either have a power or a ground hook up wrong - or a positive wire pinched (highly likely). I would go back over all your work and make sure you didn't pinch something under the dash
right, I haven't put the dash back on for that reason, everything looks clean and has space. The grounds on drivers and passenger dash frame seem good based on a 12v test light, they were the same spots the 60-harness used. Thats why I was trying to trace the branch of the fuse looking at individual components furthest out and working my way up. I was using the fuse block wiring diagram. I was a little questionable about the ignition wiring, but since it pops right off and runs, and all the lights and blinkers work I assume it was right.

I believe I have tracked down my problem, I ended up buying a circuit tracing tool. I started by unplugging the gauge cluster and then the other connectors to off the harness associated with it. Afterwards I traced it down to the cooling fan relay. After unplugging it the circuit was open no short. Then plugged-in harness connection one at a time. The lights bulbs in the back of the cluster were the next to cause the circuit to short pulled them and again created an open circuit. Now I have a tach, oil pressure and temp gauge and I now have my vent /ac fan working. It seems the fuel gauge is not working. I did pull some bulbs from one harness and put them in the new harness because the previous looked blown. I think next purchase is a power probe and I am going to see what the issue is from there.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom