Blown Fuse - Head Scratcher (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DoubleNickels

SILVER Star
Threads
So... I'm troubleshooting a blowing fuse issue in my 1974 FJ55. Can anyone tell me what the Yellow w/ Red Stripe wire is in the pic below?

20191126_202509.jpg

Also, why in the heck is it coming into a shared connector port/terminal with that Blue and Red (heater) wire? Is that from the factory, or a previous owner?

20191126_202811.jpg

Part of the challenge here is that I can't find exact electrical schematics for this specific year. I've looked on Coolerman's website and see earlier, and later… nothing for that year in FJ55. Anyways, thanks for help.

which fuse is it that you are blowing ?

the fuse block looks similar to a '72 FJ40, as do the connectors

possibly some wire colors changed, so check your year FJ40 and one year earlier, as well as a year later

nevertheless, it's a good opportunity to make sure you have all solid grounds where they are supposed to be - bad grounding is the cause of many electrical troubles in our trucks

your fuse seats don't exactly look too shiney in your pic (could be the lighting), so might be worth bringing out the fine sandpaper, and a new set of fuses isn't breaking the bank, either

trace each of the wires in either direction of the fuse and make sure the contacts and grounds are good

Will do, thank you. It's looking like that YR wire may be traced to either a reverse switch or a transfer indicator. Considering my 55 has a 5-speed installed, I'm thinking I may have goofed something up when I made that upgrade.

Oooh, this may be the ticket, thanks.

did you ever solve this Yellow w/ red tracer stripe wires mystery ?

if its a factory installed , that set uo is called a Splice Point

Toyota was Famous for using a Terminal feeding a Device lick switch as a itersection connection tie in location

i have Every single USA Spec FSM that was Printed during the 1970's

even the stand alone FJ55 Chassis + Body ones , and No such luck

on that wire ?

Toyota Does Indeed have 2 wire splices at the fuse box connectors

on various models , thats not strange , the wire color code , how ever

is indeed ODD ?

let me know if you made any progress , ?

if not send me a PM ,

i will give you the contact info. of the only person i know of , that will have the answer's to this .........

matt

FJ56 - Copy.jpg

If you follow the heater fuse wire on the diagram it is LR (Light Purple / Red stripe). There are no blue wires in the stock harness according to the key at the bottom, so B stands for Black, not Blue. At some point the shared LR becomes a RL on the diagram? RL is the backup light switch. Make sure that wires are not exposed of insulation on the transmission, and to the combination lights in the back of the truck. Check the fuel tank sender for the YR, and check the back of the gauge cluster. Blown fuses are most likely short circuits.

74FJ55.jpg

Will do, thank you. It's looking like that YR wire may be traced to either a reverse switch or a transfer indicator. Considering my 55 has a 5-speed installed, I'm thinking I may have goofed something up when I made that upgrade.

If you follow the heater fuse wire on the diagram it is LR (Light Purple / Red stripe). There are no blue wires in the stock harness according to the key at the bottom, so B stands for Black, not Blue. At some point the shared LR becomes a RL on the diagram? RL is the backup light switch. Make sure that wires are not exposed of insulation on the transmission, and to the combination lights in the back of the truck. Check the fuel tank sender for the YR, and check the back of the gauge cluster. Blown fuses are most likely short circuits.

View attachment 2144412

hello Dizzy ,

i thumbed through EVERY single Chassis Body and stand alone EWD i have in my

OEM and aftermarket print media library late last night , and could NOT

find One Example anywhere USA and NoN-USA of a 55 , 56 0r any $0 series

trucks what soever that had a Yellow w. red Tracer stripe , even close to a splice

point of Direct Feed B+ coming off any Fuse Box from 1968-1984

i checked far beyond FJ55 last year of 1980 because i suspected a NON-USA donor harness might be involved or fuse box connectors pigtails spliced in in a PO repair scenario ?

i can say there were NO Yellow Solid wires either in this case , ?

if original OEM Correct placement , then truly a Mystery ............

my personal next step would be to vert Carefully after un hooking my positive battery post

using ONLY a
OTC SST kit , extract that terminal to inspect and see if a repair or addition at some point or simply a factory original UNICORN ?

the smoking gun might be that simple to determine ?

DSCN0731.JPG
DSCN0732.JPG

4uktE29 - Copy.jpg

@ToyotaMatt I bet that it is a typo as well. I was just at your store looking at the under dash heater light, and thinking, wait, mine doesn't work, and, I think that it is wired in after I pulled the loom, but, I never saw it on my aftermarket repair manual wiring diagram. Also, I have a full current to the coil from the starter wire in the loom that is not illustrated either, same with the ignition noise wire at the coil. Omissions are technically not mistakes on a diagram, but I agree, and think for the '74 FJ55 I'd look for the Yellow with red tracer fuel sender just like on my '75 USA Fj40.

Notice the zip ties, the partial electrical wrap, and the solder direct to spade. I bet that the harness was taken apart, but the junction for the fuel sender was not possible to salvage, so it got placed at the fuse block.

@ToyotaMatt I bet that it is a typo as well. I was just at your store looking at the under dash heater light, and thinking, wait, mine doesn't work, and, I think that it is wired in after I pulled the loom, but, I never saw it on my aftermarket repair manual wiring diagram. Also, I have a full current to the coil from the starter wire in the loom that is not illustrated either, same with the ignition noise wire at the coil. Omissions are technically not mistakes on a diagram, but I agree, and think for the '74 FJ55 I'd look for the Yellow with red tracer fuel sender just like on my '75 USA Fj40.

Maybe most likely why Radio noise suppressors are Not on Factory JAPAN EWD's is

because they are a USA dealership ASSY. Install option 2 Dealerships from JAPAN

toyota made Fujitsu TEN kits ?

like in my examples photos below ,

DIZZY , since you are aware of he noise filters and such , do u still have them

intact on your truck or since long gone corroded off etc ?

DSCN0733.JPG
DSCN0734.JPG
DSCN0735.JPG
DSCN0736.JPG
DSCN0737.JPG

I guess I am not understanding how this addresses the original poster's problem :confused:

Notice the zip ties, the partial electrical wrap, and the solder direct to spade. I bet that the harness was taken apart, but the junction for the fuel sender was not possible to salvage, so it got placed at the fuse block.

i had not noticed that prior , i simply rushed over across my office rolling chair on wheels style and started thumbing for the FSM text book explanation ?

i don't get the solder to the spade assy terminal Key ACC or KEY on one ,

if they did that , what PO monkey buisness lies inside the connetcor bay at the yellow wire w/ red stripe ?

I guess I am not understanding how this addresses the original poster's problem :confused:

it relates to Omissions or Simple too many destination Markets / countries assy. parts

to have dozens of variations to one master EWD . the impact of this is so great

toyota chose to take the path of least resistence and simply omit the high Varable

Audio , and Other specific market Options or assy's

Maybe a good solid theory ......maybe 🤔

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom