Blown Engine - 2000 LC - Beaumont/Houston TX Area - Help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My parents live in Beaumont, TX, and the engine in their 2000 LC with approximately 220k miles failed last week due to what the shop says is a coolant failure/head gasket cracked (three tested cylinders have low compression), and the shop is telling them it needs a replacement engine. My mother LOVES the 100, but they quoted about 8k to replace the engine, and instead they are strongly considering letting the mechanic take the 100 to auction instead of sinking that much $ in.

Does anybody know of a knowledgeable shop in the Beaumont/Houston area that could take care of them at a better price?

My parents live in Beaumont, TX, and the engine in their 2000 LC with approximately 220k miles failed last week due to what the shop says is a coolant failure/head gasket cracked (three tested cylinders have low compression), and the shop is telling them it needs a replacement engine. My mother LOVES the 100, but they quoted about 8k to replace the engine, and instead they are strongly considering letting the mechanic take the 100 to auction instead of sinking that much $ in.

Does anybody know of a knowledgeable shop in the Beaumont/Houston area that could take care of them at a better price?

It's not a very difficult job, just time consuming. Can you and a buddy do it?

I helped my buddy switch his engine. We got a 90k mile engine off car-parts.com for $800, did a timing belt on it and some other maintenance items while we were in there. Took 4 days in the middle of summer. Could have shaved a day off if we weren't chasing the bent exhaust manifold from the replacement engine. Not suffering in the heat could probably shave another day off.

I have some engines or may would be interested in purchasing it, email me if interested, see sig.

That is a pretty unusual engine failure on a Toyuota 4.7L V8 even with 220k mi. Not sure what your parents trust level is with the shop that diagnosed it, but it might be worth them getting a second opinion. Did they tell you what symptoms the LC had prior to taking it to the shop in the first place.
Best of luck.

$8k for a used swap is high but not out of line for a shop. I'd see if a cruiser head in the area wants to tackle a swap, or sell it to them.

A good donor should run at or under $2k and the swap labor should run just shy of $3k depending on if they replace starter, WP, TB, etc.

Probably lost the $10 heater Ts and it cooked.

Did they drive it with almost no coolant for extended period (It happens, I'm not judging)? Don't see many of these fail.

Thank you for everyone's input so far! My parents are still deciding on a course of action.

It's not a very difficult job, just time consuming. Can you and a buddy do it?

I helped my buddy switch his engine. We got a 90k mile engine off car-parts.com for $800, did a timing belt on it and some other maintenance items while we were in there. Took 4 days in the middle of summer. Could have shaved a day off if we weren't chasing the bent exhaust manifold from the replacement engine. Not suffering in the heat could probably shave another day off.

Unfortunately, I'm not a wrencher and 5 hours away.

Did they drive it with almost no coolant for extended period (It happens, I'm not judging)? Don't see many of these fail.

They had regular maintenance done on it at the dealer, so not sure. Although my dad did tell me that he saw some pink fluid on the ground that he thought was transmission fluid before the failure. They were driving on the highway, it started to run rough, and then the engine stopped and lots of steam coming out from under the hood.

That is a pretty unusual

Why would you say it's unusual, the motor isn't indestructible and like everything it relies on being cooled down . Without proper cooling the engine will fail

you can look at my threads I have done many... an independant shop should do it for less that $1500 labor, any of the 4.7 engines will work of the period... you must use your oil pan, oil filter mount, engine mounts and exhaust... I'm slow so it's a 2 day job working alone... engines are under $1k with less than 150k some as low as $500 last one i got was $800 with 115k on it... and had just had the timing belt done @lexus... I do the rack bushings while the engine is out makes it a 5 min job

How much they want for the truck?

Duggy's Garage in Houston seems to have a great reputation. I have no experience personally, but they seem to specialize in Toyota 4x4s.

From their IG Account:
www.duggysgarage.com
410 Northville St, Houston TX

Let me know if they decided to sell the truck as is condition, I am in Houston. Thanks

8K from a shop to pull and replace/ rebuild does not seem to bad if you can’t do it yourself

8K from a shop to pull and replace/ rebuild does not seem to bad if you can’t do it yourself

I think that price was to remove and install a used engine, not rebuild the current one.

I think that price was to remove and install a used engine, not rebuild the current one.
Well have you gotten quotes from other shops
Get a copy of the estimate get the information on it and don’t show the estimate to other shops just info and shop it around to other shops it doesn’t have to be a Toyota shop

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom