Blower Motor Resistor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

John Smith

In the garage
SILVER Star
Threads
Has your heater blower lost the "low" fan speed setting?

If so, you probably need to replace your blower motor resistor. Here is what I used to replace mine. It is a Vishay/Dale Wirewound Power Resistor part# HL-50-06Z 1 OHM 5% 50W

You can purchase it here for $3.38. They also sell mounting brackets or you can make your own. http://www.mouser.com/catalog/626/500.pdf#search='dale%20hl5006z'

Mouser part# 71-HL50-06z-Value 1.0 - 1.0k

Note, this part is longer than the stock resistor and you will need to mount it to the top of the blower motor. My install is not the most elegant as you can see from the picture below but it does work.
resistor.jpg

luckily my resistor is still working.
Good thing as my blower moves a LOT of air now that I rewired the whole harness with good 14ga!

Great info though!

John, thanks, I need EXACTLY that!

Ed:bounce2: :bounce: :bounce2:

Man! We all must be working on heaters!
cwm27.gif

I just tore into mine for a complete rebuild and powder coat job. I got one of those Mouser resistors and since I had the heater stripped to bare metal, I decided to move the stock resistor holders to accomdate the longer length of the new resistor. I drilled out the spot welds, welded the holes back up then moved the brackets back and to the side and welded them back on. See the attached pics.
P6180091web.jpg
P6180094web.jpg
P6180092web.jpg

I am doing this and have all the parts but am wondering exaclty how the wiring hooks up to the resistor. There are only two wires that actually come out of my blower motor. White/black and Blue black. Then there is a blue white that is on the clip that hooks the heater up. Mine has always been cut. By looking at this picture in post one I see that blue black goes to one side of the resistor and blue white goes to the other side. Am I missing where the white black goes or is it a ground? Does it matter which side of the resistor each of the blues go to? I have a wire digram but am positive that it is not the right one for my 72 pig.....

The fact it works is what matters most.

Note on rear Heaters: they use a 4 ohm resistor for fans with 2 speeds. The motor itself is identical to single speed fans.

I cant really tell because the red wires....Can you explain which wire goes to what....Right now I have Blue black wire from the motor to resistor and then out to the clip. The blue/white goes to the other side of the resistor and the white black goes directly to the clip......it is not working :-(

Any ideas?

K, I've been out of it for a while but I *think* white /black stripe = ground. I forget if it goes into the harness or just bolts to the firewall.

Your blue/black wire going to one end of resistor then to fan should be from fan HI speed switch. (12v +)

Your wire blue/white wire going to the opposite end of resistor should be 12v+ from your fan LOW speed switch. IE this goes through the resistor, then out the blue/black to the fan. The resistor slows the fan down.

If you bypass EVERYTHING and jumper the 2 wires coming out of your fan, it should spin at high speed. This would tell you your fan is working.

HOWEVER: I am not positive of this as it has been a while since I've messed with wiring and I'm not near mine to check. I may be completely wrong :)

Guys in based in Ireland so can't realistically order from Mouser.

I've found a local tube type 50w resistor but what ohm rating do I need? The one above is 1 -1000ohm so should I get a 500ohm one or a variable one?

The original one was fixed resistance?

P.s. my truck is 24v

corglass said:
Guys in based in Ireland so can't realistically order from Mouser.

I've found a local tube type 50w resistor but what ohm rating do I need? The one above is 1 -1000ohm so should I get a 500ohm one or a variable one?

The original one was fixed resistance?

P.s. my truck is 24v

Get it from Canada given it's 24 volt. This is the 21st century mate: era of globalization. Shipping is cheap. That little part would be about $10 or $12 from Canada to the Emerald Isle.

Get it from Canada given it's 24 volt. This is the 21st century mate: era of globalization. Shipping is cheap. That little part would be about $10 or $12 from Canada to the Emerald Isle.

thanks Clamba but what resistance?

I know the canadian 40's were 24v, but I still don't know which resistor to get?

thanks Clamba but what resistance?

I know the canadian 40's were 24v, but I still don't know which resistor to get?

It would be my guess you get a 1 to 1000 just like the 12 volt no?

Heifer-net

To shine a little light for the non electric guys & girls here.....

The resistor used in post #1 is 1 ohm, 50 Watts wire wounded on a ceramic base (tube style).

50Watt variable resistors don't exist. Correction, they do exist but are special made for special purposes and are HUGE! The size of a pickle jar if not bigger.

The mentioning of: 1 - 1000 in a previous post is the value range for production.
Which means the are made in values between 1 and 1000 ohm (1 Kilo ohm).

The reason that the resistor is BIG (50Watts) is because it "eats" half the power for the fan at half speed. 50% of the power goes to the fan and 50% of the power goes into the resistor.

Hope this helps a bit.

Rudi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom