Blower motor resistor....location/replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone,
I searched for the location of the blower motor resistor here on "mud", but I still can't seem to find it. From what I can determine, it is to the right of the gas ped, but I looked to no avail. Does anyone have a picture of the location? Is it a hard part to change out?

Thanks,
Zack

IF you are talking about the small circuit board for the blower it is located on the housing of the blower. Easy to change out. It actually located on the pass side. Sorry no pic.

IF you are talking about the small circuit board for the blower it is located on the housing of the blower. Easy to change out. It actually located on the pass side. Sorry no pic.

Yes that is what I am talking about....It is the part that controls the speed of the fan on positions 1-4, correct?

I have replaced the blower motor before, so I know where that is, is the resistor near there?

Zack

On the side of the box that contains heater core.

Connector plugs into it:

IMG_2395.jpg

Last edited:
Did you buy one already?

Toyo part # 87138-22030

NAPA, autozone, carquest - your basic auto stores will have or order.

Yes I purchased the part from Toyota.....

In the picture that I took, is the resistor behind the heater core? I can't contort my body at the moment, so I can't look to deeply.

Thanks,
Zack
blower resistor 1.jpg
blower resistor 2.jpg

Driver's side, above skinny pedal... You have to remove some of the hard ducting, as I remember. If you can't bend much, right now, better find someone who's a wet noodle to help, or you're gonna be in pain.

Good luck.

On a fj60-1985 possibly others ( Im really new to this). It is located on the drivers side above the right side of the gas pedal. Behind some duct work on the duct itself. Which for accessibility, 2 parts of the duct requires the removal of, With the use of a regular Philips screw and another thats on an expansion socket with Philips head screw. Not to bad to remove, with small hands/fingers bigger digits just takes more time, good vision and light to remove. Sorry did not any pic's. But the threads here has both helped and confused me to no end. Thats probably on me as I feel the site is of great value to all/me.
As far as resources for parts, may I recommend Amayama a Japanese part store that has many original parts for very reasonable prices, compared to most stores here in the U.S. If you don't seek immediate need/ gratification. A 2 week shipping time should be expected, at least.

Out of curiosity, why is the resistor open to the air inside the heater box? Sorry if this is too much of a hijack, I was just wondering this tonight then I saw the discussion

Out of curiosity, why is the resistor open to the air inside the heater box? Sorry if this is too much of a hijack, I was just wondering this tonight then I saw the discussion

The resistors are used to control the motor speed, in doing so they produce heat, and are in the plenum air stream to keep them cool.

Some more revival. My fan works on all speeds, but depending on the speed, it will shut itself off. I've taken it apart and cleaned everything inside the motor (there was lots of buildup) and checked the brushes and commutator. They were in good condition. When I put it back together, I plugged it in and ran it, with the same outcome. On high, it's good for less than 30 seconds. Time increases as speed decreases. When I take it straight to the battery, it'll blow your face off, and doesn't stop. I haven't taken the switch apart, but did resolder a connection that had come apart. I know there's a relay under the left side, but is it possible that the resistor board is at fault? This is on an 81 fj60. Thanks for any help.

is it possible that the resistor board is at fault?
I always assumed that when the blower is on high, the resistors were bypassed. That would mean you have a bad connection or bad wiring somewhere . Can be tricky to find faults like this. Not sure if the fusible link is involved in the blower circuit. Might be worth checking that too.

Have a look at this thread FJ60 Blower Motor just quit working
There is a heat triggered switch that trips when too much load. That would explain the fan coming on by itself.
My best guess is the motor is getting old and draining too much juice. Burned windings or sticky/dry brass bushes.
I read that thread earlier, but will the CB reset itself? I was under the thought process that it had to be manually reset.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom