Block heater effectiveness (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I don't know how many more chances I will get at capturing cold data here in Alabama with my block heater this year but thought I would start a thread. Certainly missed my chance in North Dakota because I didn't have a scan gauge at the time.

Data taken from gentex mirror with temp prob behind front bumper and coolant temp from scan gauge:

Outside temp 38
Coolant temp 73

Back when I had a block heater, I wouldn't even plug it in unless the air temp was going below 0F. 38F? Not exactly weather requiring a block heater but hey, plug it in. :)

Concur with it not being needed but was curious to have an idea of its actual effectiveness. I remember being a little hesitant to plug it in even when living through a freeze your junk off winter in North Dakota. For some reason I had visions of the heater boiling the crud out of my coolant and lessening its effective life. Then the other morning I was starting up and noticed that my outside temp and coolant were matched up at 42 degrees. Then I realized I had a easy way to see how hot the heater really got things.

freeze plug type, or radiator hose type? I hear that the silicone pads you slap on the bottom of the oil pan are worthless.

Freeze plug.

freeze plug type, or radiator hose type? I hear that the silicone pads you slap on the bottom of the oil pan are worthless.

They aren't. A lot of vehicles around here have only a pad heater and do just fine.

I have a Webasto for my coolant (heats it to 170F) and use a pad heater on my transmission.

I've got the freeze plug kit, been plugging it in all week and it does help. It's been zero or a little less all week and is supposed to be -10 tonight.

My last data point until we get some freezing again, 2015?

Outside 48
Coolant 87

So roughly 35-40 degree increase with temps above freezing. I bet there will be a smaller spread with colder temps.

41magsnub, it's been pretty frigid up here in Kalispell. What kit did you use and which freeze plug is it installed in? I haven't had much luck finding one that will fit properly. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom