Block drain plug torque spec? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jaymar

SILVER Star
Threads
Not finding it in the search. I'm up to 38 foot pounds trying to tighten in order to determine previous torque. Of course, if the bolt is frozen, this approach does have its downside…

22 ft-lbs.

The deeper I get into this, the less I like the PO…

The coolant drain plug? My 94 FSM says 22 foot pounds.

Edit: oops, took too long. :)

Last edited:
QRC

Attachments

• 80 series reference card - 5x7 pdf.pdf
    83.9 KB · Views: 174
Jaymar Are you joking?
Trying to tighten it over the Po has nothing to do with right torq specs, lucky if it does not end with damaged thread.
I don't get it but use a big leveler to unscrew it, bust or break and not much force is needed to tighten, it is not a wheel lug nut.

:bang:
Jaymar Are you joking?
Trying to tighten it over the Po has nothing to do with right torq specs, lucky if it does not end with damaged thread.
I don't get it but use a big leveler to unscrew it, bust or break and not much force is needed to tighten, it is not a wheel lug nut.
Well, that was when I was proceeding on the foolish assumption that the PO knew what the hell he was doing. I can now state with absolute certainty that the original PHH can in at least some cases go for 230k miles before blowout.:bang:

upload_2017-11-20_10-1-14.png

FWIW, @hj 60 is correct. Don't ever try to determine torque this way. The only way to properly apply torque to a fastener is to use the torque wrench from loose to fully engaged. Once you stop, you're no longer measuring dynamic friction, which is what the torque specification is related to. Static friction has to be overcome before you can measure dynamic friction. Static friction can be as much as 30% greater than dynamic friction, on clean, dry threads. This is enough to cause some fasteners to fail.

I think it's brass and a different thread style than everything else on the truck for the fitting. The only other brass fitting I have found was the oil pressure sending unit threads on the '93-'94. Not sure it's the same for the newer models but I do know the wire harness that clips to is prone to failure and NLA from Mr. T, so be careful with those. No drunk wrenching. Better to have the right feel on the bolt when you crank on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom