blm closing areas in florence (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

murf

Lifer
Threads
On Saturday I went on the Martinez canyon loop due to BLM closing the road above the cabins thereby cutting off the loop past the mill and the mine. The scenery is fantastic and the trail is challenging. I was dissapointed in the condition of the cabin. For the last 20 years or so, I would visit Martinez cabin on and off every 5 years or so and it was always in decent condition. In the last year(?) or so, due to severe vandalism to the structures by a few, the private land owner has decided to close it to all. A crying shame! Try to check it out I think it closes in with in the next month? Shoot a vandal, save a trail!
martinez cabin.jpg
martinez canyon bolder slot.jpg
martinez mill.jpg

more martinez canyon

more pics of the mill, mine and trail.....a cement post in the Mill was dated October 14th, 1951. I can only imagine getting all that heavy equipment back in there back in the 50's. Brutal! The mill sports a huge water tank and several deisel engines that process the ore from the mine which is approx a mile away.
martinez mill d.jpg
martinez canyon trek.jpg
mine tracks.jpg

We entered the mine with flashlights and had to walk between the track laid for the ore cars. After approimately 100 yards you come upon both a side upshaft and side down shaft complete with wooden ladders. Not worth trying to climb. Nice and cool in the mine shaft though....

About a mile past the mine, one of the Toyota pick ups with gear reduction lost his clutch assy. Luckily another Toy owner had an extra clutch assy with him (Be prepared!) and with some air tools, the clutch was replaced in under an hour and a half and we were back on our way. Thank God for technicians and experienced old desert racers!

Once we reached the top it was scenic and the road was decent until the "Luge" which gives the "pucker factor" some creedence.

I came out with no sheetmetal damage due to the armor taking the hits. My front Arb is bent in kinda like Kevins (Yeah, you were right -no approach angle), the sliders paid for themseves several times over and the skidplate took a couple for the team. Yes, I even slightly gouged 3 of my "pretty" wheels (Gasp!). :hillbilly:

All in all a day to be remembered becasue it will never be accessible again. :eek:
mile trek.JPG
martinez canyon scenic from top.JPG
start of luge.jpg

Last edited:
When does the closure take effect? Do we have a list of trails that will be closing and maybe as a club we should head up and get the last runs in on these trails......maybe I should start my own thread??

When does the closure take effect? Do we have a list of trails that will be closing and maybe as a club we should head up and get the last runs in on these trails......maybe I should start my own thread??

I was emailed this via wheelingaz

There will be a meeting on the Florence Junction area planning
process on Wednesday April 29 at the Game and Fish Department at 555
N. Greasewood.

This is a very important planning process so please plan on attending.

The BLM will be there with maps to answer your questions. The meeting
will be from 6 to 8 pm.
www.WheelingArizona.com :: Log in

COMMENTS DUE MAY 8, 2009
Bureau of Land Management
Tucson Field Office
12661 East Broadway Blvd.
Tucson, AZ 85748-7208
OR
mgc_travel@blm.gov

The proposed CLOSED trails:
Lower Woodpecker
Martinez Canyon
Woody's Wash
Overdose
Broken Ankle
Jawbreaker (this trail has been officially closed for a number of years)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom